Red algae spots?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kendramc

Reaction score
I have these red spots all over my rocks. I'm guessing it is some sort of algae, but it is very flat and seems to form new spots more than expanding where it is. It doesn't seem to be a real problem, but my bristlenose plecos definitely don't eat it, and the few spots that have formed on the glass don't come off with the magnetic scrubber thing.

Anyone know what it is and if it is something I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• 20221113_105339.jpg
    20221113_105339.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 41
Some algae is red...black brush algae is actually technically a red algae...but I have never seen any algae in freshwater this red. My inclination is to think this is something in the water that is being added. What are the parameters (GH, pH, temperature), are you ading any substances (conditioner plus anything else), could it be from the food...?

Some algae is red...black brush algae is actually technically a red algae...but I have never seen any algae in freshwater this red. My inclination is to think this is something in the water that is being added. What are the parameters (GH, pH, temperature), are you ading any substances (conditioner plus anything else), could it be from the food...?
68f, not sure on gh or ph for sure (getting test strips soon), but I know the water is hard and pretty sure it's alkaline. The only things I ever put in are Flourish, Prime, and Melafix. I feed Tertamin 3-in-1 and algae wafers, with occasional freeze dried brine shrimp. I don't really see any of these causing something like this.

that's the same red alge i have in my aquarium, i've been battling this condition for the last 15 years. it gets on the granite i have in there and all over the glass here and there. i bought one of the razor blade scrapers and epoxied a plastic tube to it to suck out the alge after i scraped it free from the glass. i bleach the granite when i find it. for some reason it doesn't attach to any of the gravel in the aquarium.
i picked it up from a some fish i bought from a pet shop in Indiana and didn't see any of it when i made the purchase but later on when i visited there it was in all their aquariums.

That's common in soft water. My advice is to admire it and enjoy it. It is kind of nice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back