Recommendations for tall growing plants please

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive got an idea for a project of using a 5 foot long clear cylinder water display feature but I want to turn it into a planted tank. I was thinking of what kinds of plants that I could put in the bottom that could grow really tall towards the top and maybe going to have some pots of other plants at each foot for some small species to feed from, cherry shrimp are small but is it ok to have these in a tank that is like 6 - 8 inches wide and 5 feet or more tall?

would elodea densa grow several feet? any more blade-like grass that could grow tall?

Jungle val can get a couple of feet tall, my anacharis is a good 2 1/2 feet tall and growing

Thank you very much for these ideas, they are just what I am looking for! :)

Water Lily, Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, Vallis (already mentioned).

I've calculated the volume is 1.6 gallons. It's smaller than my memory served however I think given its 105 * 9cm I can put in the bottom a few of the tall plants. How many cherry shrimp do you think I could add?

If it's only 4 inches square by 5 foot high it will be very unstable and could easily tip over. It will also be very hard to clean.

If it's only 4 inches square by 5 foot high it will be very unstable and could easily tip over. It will also be very hard to clean.

Well, the base is wider so should be OK, the snails will be clean and I won't put any gravel in this one. I'm going to be able to clear the bottom of debris with a pipe for syphoning.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do shrimp sleep? Would they be OK sleeping on the bottom together? I'm think of how I can integrate platforms and have little plants a foot apart but will see how the plants with the longer leaves look first.

Forgot to att the picture
_20200210_124215.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Back