Recommendations for new fish? (If I have room)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have 5 Juli Corys, 5 five banded barbs and 3 Honey Gouramis in my 125 litre tank. I have a fluval U3 filter and my ph is around 6.8

I'm looking for some recommendations for new fish to add to the tank if you all think I have any room for more? Ideally something relatively small, colourful and peaceful.

Hi I’d probably say to add a few more of your schooling fish and the maybe some peacock gobies to add into the mix? Think they would tick the boxes you’ve said about nicely.

Wills

I concur with adding a few more of the two shoaling species (barbs and cories), increasing the barbs to 9 and the cories to 10-12. I would not add other species however, given the tank size (I am assuming it is 36 inches/90 cm in length).

I concur with adding a few more of the two shoaling species (barbs and cories), increasing the barbs to 9 and the cories to 10-12. I would not add other species however, given the tank size (I am assuming it is 36 inches/90 cm in length).
Hi I’d probably say to add a few more of your schooling fish and the maybe some peacock gobies to add into the mix? Think they would tick the boxes you’ve said about nicely.

Wills

I was thinking of adding some neon tetras originally but I'm not too sure if that would be suitable. Peacock gobbies are an option I've looked at as well as some species of nano fish.

Barbs are fast moving fish who can be aggressive/nippy to slower moving species so you should aim for other fast species and/or bottom dwellers to go with them. So more Corys could be a good options and they are even more entertaining and active if you have 6-8 of them so maybe get 3 more corys. For something colourful, platties will go well as they are fast moving. Danios are also a very good fit for barbs and often overlooked but they are beautiful with their intricate patterns

I would look at zebra or leopard danios to swim in the upper part of the tank. Make sure you have plenty of floating plants for the Honey Gouramis to hang in.

I would look at zebra or leopard danios to swim in the upper part of the tank. Make sure you have plenty of floating plants for the Honey Gouramis to hang in.
I will have a look at some danios but would their fast movements not spook the honey Gouramis?

I don't do live plants in my tank but I have a few plastic lily pads on the surface for them, they actually seem to really enjoy going to the middle or even the bottom of the tank too and having a nosey around . Very inquisitive little fish.

I will have a look at some danios but would their fast movements not spook the honey Gouramis?

I don't do live plants in my tank but I have a few plastic lily pads on the surface for them, they actually seem to really enjoy going to the middle or even the bottom of the tank too and having a nosey around . Very inquisitive little fish.
Honey Gourami's are delicate little fish and like to have lots of safe spaces to go to, that is where live plants are really good for them. The danios like that protection as well, If you just do plastic plants I can't advise on what fish to put in your tank.

Honey Gourami's are delicate little fish and like to have lots of safe spaces to go to, that is where live plants are really good for them. The danios like that protection as well, If you just do plastic plants I can't advise on what fish to put in your tank.
I have quite a few plastic plans of various size and a few little hiding places in different areas of the tank. My Cory's love surfing over them and eating any algae that's on them too.

I was advised, on here by Essjay I believe, that danios would indeed spook gouramis.

I was advised, on here by Essjay I believe, that danios would indeed spook gouramis.
I've also heard quite a few people say that they were disappointed with their danios after purchase. The way they swim around is apparently a bit erratic and nor very relaxing.

Most reactions

Back