Recommend filter for a 70L tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tom731

Reaction score
Hi, although I am still new this hobby and my aquarium 70l (19 gallon) tropical aquarium is mid cycle, I am putting thought into getting a new filter.

I currently have the juwel bioflow one which is quite bulky, has poor surface agitation and only allows for regular mechanical filtration (no chemical etc).

I have high nitrate content in my tap water (around 33ppm) so I’d like one that can reduce nitrate (using nitrazorb or similar), while I’d also like to have the option for carbon filtration.

I have been looking at the fluval u2, does anyone have any experience with this filter or have any suggestions on others that would be good? Thanks!

The U2 doesn't have space for chemical filtration either, apart for the poly-carbon pads. And carbon isn't actually needed. it doesn't have space for a nitra-zorb pad. There are better ways of removing nitrate from tap water before the water goes into the tank eg pozzani nitrate filters.

The Juwel filter allows for both mechanical and biological filtration which is all you need.

I'd suggest an Aquaclear 70 run on minimum flow, max re-filtration as it will give you plenty of customizable room for Nitra-Zorb and biomedia if desired.
As mentioned, you don't want/need activated carbon...better to use fast growing floating plants.
If you will use Nitra-Zorb, be sure to place in the filter AFTER very fine filter media (like polyester fiber) as the use life of nitra-zorb is compromized when it gets coated with detritus. (I use nitra-zorb to pre-filter my well water used for water changes on several grow out tanks.)

The tank sounds like a Juwel Primo 70 and I'm not sure the hood will fit a HOB filter. Most tanks this size in the UK are made for internals with just a small gap for the cable to go through. A HOB would mean cutting out a large chunk of the lid.

apologies, i should have mentioned that the tank is a primo 70. I don't think a HOB filter would fit either.

I wanted the option for carbon filtration as I have driftwood in the tank so id like to use it to clear the water up. Also I read that if my tank gets diseased in the future, carbon filters are needed to remove residue medication used? Basically I want to future proof it a bit.

One thing you could do is to cut a slice off one of the sponges - only a bit as you want to keep as much sponge as possible for the bacteria to live on. Then buy some loose carbon granules and a mesh bag (I make mine out of net fabric). Put the bag of carbon last in the direction of water flow. Carbon granules are lot cheaper than ready made carbon pads they just need to washed before use to get rid of the dust.

The brown colour from the driftwood won't harm the fish. It's just fish keepers that don't like it :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back