Recommend Cory catfish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ammonium

Reaction score
Hi
Tbh I haven't really own any fishes but ive done some research abt important stuff to be a efficient fishkeeper and I wish I could keep Cory cats as my first fishes.
So now I would like some suggestions from u guys abt what Cory cats u would recommend to newbie like me but I would also like to hear abt recommendation abt Cory cats for experience fish owner cause I want to gather more info so I can decide

Plz include :
Optimum temperature
Optimum ph
Water hardness
Maybe price?

PS: hope to hear some info abt adolfoi Cory catfish as I'm quite interested in that fish

Tks

If you've done research about being a fishkeeper you can also easily find information about every known freshwater fish in existence.
I did a search on "list of all freshwater fish" and came up with a link to Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freshwater_aquarium_fish_species

You'll need to pick a specific Cory or as they may be called Corydoras or Cat or Catfish . You can sort the list alphabetically by taxonomy name or common name I clicked on "Common Name" and there is about a list of 20 or so Cory's to start you off with some with more info than others. I just purchased several Julii corydoras little black and white spotted things. They are just babies now about 1/2" long but they'll grow to 2". Personally I love this species I don't thing there is a mean variety of them - they are all peaceful and mine are VERY shy. I can't even find all 4 of mine most of the time - they

If you want to know specific info about a particular cory - click on the Taxonomy name for one and it will take you to a new Wikipedia page that tells you EVERYTHING about them, size, where they come from , temperature, PH , Water hardness (I don't worry much about water hardness just use the water conditioners on the market and your water will be fine assuming you've cycled your tank.

As far as price that's going to vary tremendously - do a search on "online freshwater fish store" and search for a few cory's on their website and you'll probably find they run from about 4.99 each on up to 35.00 each or more depending on availability. You can go to just about any petstore in town and find at least varieties of 2 or 3 Cory's in each store - most store will carry inexpensive popular corys for $5 or less.

They are very hardy fish. They work great in a community tank - they do not harass each other or other fish - they do play with each other - I think they are one of the best starter fish you can buy. There are a lot of varieties of black and white. I've also seen a green but since it was still small I couldn't see any green on him. The black and white spotted varieties like mine or the "panda" cory are probably the most popular. They do school so buy at least 5 or 6 if possible. They are also bottom feeders - I'm really struggling with finding them something to eat. I bought sinkable wafers but I think they are too hard for them to bite off a piece and too big to eat whole so right now I'm feeding all my fish crumbled flakes and micro-pellets. They don't seem too thrilled but I've tried everything else I've got including bloodworms and tuberworm (which nobody ate and made my tank so messy I'll have to specifically siphon the mess of those thing - they come in soft cubes which disintegrates when it hits the water scattering what looks like plant trash all over you tank and they don't sink for days. Going to start growing my own brine shrimp soon so I hope they like them.

The most important thing with cories is the number. This is a shoaling species, which means they live in large groups (several hundred in their habitats) and they are highly social so a group is crucial to their health. No fewer than five or six, but if space permits, more than this would be better for the fish. Not knowing the tank size here, I can't offer much more on how many. The group can be the same species, or mixed; in my experience most species do not seem too bothered if they are in with a group of their own or mixed species, but nevertheless it is beneficial to have a few of each species if possible.

Substrate is also important, and sand is without question the best. Fine gravel can work, though this does impede some of them. In any case, the grains must be very smooth, not rough or sharp.

Welcome to TFF.

Byron is right about the numbers. The more the merrier. The common green Corydoras Aeneas is a great one. With a bunch in good healthy water don't be surprised when they lay eggs on the sides of your tank. They don't seem to be able to help themselves.

Tks for the info guys
I heard the bronze corydoras is pretty good and hardy but I wish to aim something more uncommon.The area I'm living now is a more hotter region so maybe sterbai would be great...
Still,I want to hear more from u guys cause there are 160 + type of corydoras and I might find something more of my cup of tea
Btw which online website that sells corydoras should I use?

Yeah the reality is most shops are only going to carry a few species at most - so you kind of take what you can get. Here is a link to the online website I found that has the biggest selection of stock that I've ever seen. Expecting my first order from them this week. Wasn't a particularly large or expensive order but, like you, I wanted some very specific fish. Cost $34 to overnight ship (the only option - no guarantees on 2 day shipping)

https://www.azgardens.com/

True,my local shop dint really have anything except for bronze and pepper and I can't tell wheater they are inbreed ornot
Jan Cavalieri could u tell me the overall of the online website after u get ur Cory cats cause I might just buy some from there

Tks for the info guys
I heard the bronze corydoras is pretty good and hardy but I wish to aim something more uncommon.The area I'm living now is a more hotter region so maybe sterbai would be great...
Still,I want to hear more from u guys cause there are 160 + type of corydoras and I might find something more of my cup of tea
Btw which online website that sells corydoras should I use?

Concerning where to buy cories...if you could give us your general location (meaning, North America, UK, or wherever) it might help members suggest reliable dealers.

As for temperature, what specific range are you dealing with? All cories prefer somewhat cooler water temperatures meaning in the low to mid 70's F (21-25 C) and there are a few species that are OK in the higher 70's F (26 C). I keep my tank of some 50 cories (12 different species) at 75-76F (24.5 to 25C).

There are now over 150 described species of Corydoras, and several dozen discovered but not yet scientifically described (the "C" numbers). If you search Planet Catfish you will find all of these (or nearly all) with photos. There are "standard" species now being commercially raised (C. anneus, C. paleatus, C. panda, C. sterbai, and a few others) but the vast majority will be wild caught. This means closer adherance to water parameters; all cories (with a couple exceptions in ranges) occur in soft water with a slightly acidic pH. This would be "optimum" for all species, generally speaking.

I just bought some from this website because they had more varieties of everything I was looking for

I actually ended up getting my cory locally because I ran into this one:
https://www.azgardens.com/product/julii-cory-catfish/

I think it's beautiful. Online this company carries the Panda Cory - which is very cute and also very popular but nobody had them in my town. I don't have room to buy more Cory's but I'm happy with the species I have - and they are just so funny to watch - nearly always together you'll see them searching for small bits of food in the same place, even though there was only enough for one - as if more will appear there. They really aren't the most efficient scavengers so where ever they come from must have plenty of food - in my aquarium they'll swim right past it .But they're not starving or anything.

Oh my inexpensive Zebra Danio's and Cherry Barbs have started to play tag with each other - I don't think it's the Barbs being too aggressive but I can see how the Zebra's could get on their nerves after a while because those little fish just NEVER STOP MOVING - always swimming, usually together at 100 mph. The little cherry barbs don't have a chance of catching them.

These are just $2-$5 fish I've got right now and they are as fun as if I had spent $40 on each of them - so try not to be a fish snob. The popular fish are popular for good reasons, perhaps they're particularly pretty, or very hardy, or non-aggressive, or easy to care for or just fun little fish - I don't think I have to pay a huge amount of money to get a very big payoff - invest the money in a good tank and good equipment - nearly all fish are pretty cool.

Right now I'm in love with Dwarf Gourami - just ordered a couple powder blue ones. One of the pet stores here had some lovely blue ones with a partial rainbow pattern but by the time my tank was cycled they had sold out - should have written the name down.

Just remember you pay a small fortune to ship fish from any fish store because it has to be overnight shipping, so it has to be worth it to you. Plus you probably get some very stressed out fish when they finally do arrive.

Concerning where to buy cories...if you could give us your general location (meaning, North America, UK, or wherever) it might help members suggest reliable dealers.

As for temperature, what specific range are you dealing with? All cories prefer somewhat cooler water temperatures meaning in the low to mid 70's F (21-25 C) and there are a few species that are OK in the higher 70's F (26 C). I keep my tank of some 50 cories (12 different species) at 75-76F (24.5 to 25C).

There are now over 150 described species of Corydoras, and several dozen discovered but not yet scientifically described (the "C" numbers). If you search Planet Catfish you will find all of these (or nearly all) with photos. There are "standard" species now being commercially raised (C. anneus, C. paleatus, C. panda, C. sterbai, and a few others) but the vast majority will be wild caught. This means closer adherance to water parameters; all cories (with a couple exceptions in ranges) occur in soft water with a slightly acidic pH. This would be "optimum" for all species, generally speaking.

The area I'm now staying as I say b4 is quite hot (tropical area in Asia ) that why I want to aim those Cory that can stand hotter temperature.But if I needed I can also adjust the optimum room temp for the corycats

Im incredibly new to this two. I don't have any fish yet, just cycling my tank. But I know I want corys and have done a lot of research. This site is super helpful with LOTS of information all about different species of corys. Id definitely check it out. I hope you find something unique for your new tank!

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/my_all_fbws_species.php?mode=fish

I alrdy a new member of this website(four days ago ) but tks.eventho It really give a lot of info abt most or all Cory cats I still wish to hear some info from u guys cause there alot of Cory out there and it's really hard to make a decision.but anyway tks again

I just bought some from this website because they had more varieties of everything I was looking for

I actually ended up getting my cory locally because I ran into this one:
https://www.azgardens.com/product/julii-cory-catfish/

I think it's beautiful. Online this company carries the Panda Cory - which is very cute and also very popular but nobody had them in my town. I don't have room to buy more Cory's but I'm happy with the species I have - and they are just so funny to watch - nearly always together you'll see them searching for small bits of food in the same place, even though there was only enough for one - as if more will appear there. They really aren't the most efficient scavengers so where ever they come from must have plenty of food - in my aquarium they'll swim right past it .But they're not starving or anything.

Oh my inexpensive Zebra Danio's and Cherry Barbs have started to play tag with each other - I don't think it's the Barbs being too aggressive but I can see how the Zebra's could get on their nerves after a while because those little fish just NEVER STOP MOVING - always swimming, usually together at 100 mph. The little cherry barbs don't have a chance of catching them.

These are just $2-$5 fish I've got right now and they are as fun as if I had spent $40 on each of them - so try not to be a fish snob. The popular fish are popular for good reasons, perhaps they're particularly pretty, or very hardy, or non-aggressive, or easy to care for or just fun little fish - I don't think I have to pay a huge amount of money to get a very big payoff - invest the money in a good tank and good equipment - nearly all fish are pretty cool.

Right now I'm in love with Dwarf Gourami - just ordered a couple powder blue ones. One of the pet stores here had some lovely blue ones with a partial rainbow pattern but by the time my tank was cycled they had sold out - should have written the name down.

Just remember you pay a small fortune to ship fish from any fish store because it has to be overnight shipping, so it has to be worth it to you. Plus you probably get some very stressed out fish when they finally do arrive.

Maybe after I get some Cory I would add some Barbs afterwards...

Hi
Tbh I haven't really own any fishes but ive done some research abt important stuff to be a efficient fishkeeper and I wish I could keep Cory cats as my first fishes.
So now I would like some suggestions from u guys abt what Cory cats u would recommend to newbie like me but I would also like to hear abt recommendation abt Cory cats for experience fish owner cause I want to gather more info so I can decide

Plz include :
Optimum temperature
Optimum ph
Water hardness
Maybe price?

PS: hope to hear some info abt adolfoi Cory catfish as I'm quite interested in that fish

Tks
I'd love to help, but I'm also a newby esp. to cory catfish. I went to my LFS & the clerk picked 3 really nice ones for me problem was there r 2 males & one female & they keep breeding. If & when the babies hatch they either get eaten or sucked up when I gravel vac. YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT SEE THEM they're amazingly tiny. My best suggestion is MAKE SURE u get all one gender. I just wanted a second betta for my 5g Fluval (2cd tank), but it got infested w/worms & pest snails before I even put anything in it. I had to tear it completely down after getting the Cory catfish just to clean up the pest problems. The Coreys were wonderful at getting rid of the worms but couldn't do anything about the pest snails. Now I'm going to use the 5 gallon Fluval, since I've sanitized it and replaced every piece of it that I possibly could, for the baby Cory's that have just hatched from their eggs in a breeder box. Problem is I'm a little over my head I didn't expect to have any breeding going on and any babies to raise and I don't have any idea what I'm going to do with them if they get too an adult stage.
So I'm really sorry I cant help you other than to say - as earlier- get all males or all females. )-:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back