Recipes For When Pregnant

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

juliehainsworth

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok I was just wondering if anyone on here had any good recipes for when pregnant! I recently found out that I'm pregnant and I'm finding it difficult to find foods that taste great at the moment! The only thing I have found that I really like at the moment is smoked makrel with rice, peas sweetcorn, scrambled egg and some spring onion! Which I really cant live off for the next eight months! Any recipes welcomed

Don't worry, it'll change, you won't only want one thing for ever, but if that's the one thing you want, and it looks safe and balanced nutritionally, there's no reason why you shouldn't eat it.
I'd be more interested in what you can't eat, there are PAGES of no-no's for pregnant women. Go find an American site, they get given a lot more information then we do, when I was pg I learned half what I knew from the Americans, I went and asked my Dr and they were like "oh yes, that's true..." - then why didn't you tell me yourself instead of my having to go find out on the computer??

Go join a baby board if you haven't already:
http://www.epregnancy.com/messagebrd/index.php?c=11
have a lot of fun!! my son is three and a half now and I am *still* in my "due date" club, I have just come from posting there, these women and I have now known each other for going on 4.5 years, I'd miss them so much if I stopped going.

Hey congrats! I second that your ideas about food will change from month to month or even second to second while pregnant. My first I was too nauseated to eat anything but peanut butter on white bread for the first trimester then it was anything except chicken and pizza (so sorry dh!). This time I had a strong aversion to eating period even though my nausea wasn't as strong. I am five month in and finally have my appetite back as proven by the large bowl of peppermint ice cream I just downed. In the first few months I've always lived by the rule that I eat what I can stand to smell and what I can keep down and I take a good prenatal vitamin (when I remember ha ha).

babycenter is the website that I go to for good info and they also have birth month clubs which are fun so you can "hang out" with women going through the same stage of pregnancy as you. I also really enjoy their weekly newsletters which tell you all about your baby and what you can expect for that time in your pregnancy. For instance my baby is currently about 10 inches long and weighs a about a pound. These newsletters and sites are also really helpful when it comes time to go to the doctor because I'm not using my appointment time will silly questions and it also preps me to ask even better questions.

For recipes I just try to eat as well as possible but I really don't worry if I "cheat" on not so healthy foods sometimes either. The book "The Expectant Father" which I know is really for the dads has some great recipes in it if you really want to look into recipes specifically for pregnancy. My dh makes the peanut butter pasta out of it and it's REALLY good, he makes it for us even when I'm not pregnant.

And do get to know the list of no-no's like sushi, swordfish, blue cheese (although blue cheese dressing is OK), processed meats like hot dogs, artificial sweeteners and foods which you should limit like tuna (once a week). Some are just for caution, like the sweeteners, because the effect is unknown some are for better reasons. I chose to abstain from most things on the no-no list not because I thought that I would for sure hurt my baby but because if something did turn out not quite right I didn't want to have done something I could blame myself for later. Chances are everything will be fine so you do what you decide after doing research based on knowledge and personality, I guess. :)

Congrats Natsuko, Not sure about recipes, but when I was pregnant all I wanted to eat was sweet and sour chicken and noodles (except for a few cravings).

The only thing I have found that I really like at the moment is smoked makrel with rice, peas sweetcorn, scrambled egg and some spring onion!

Have you had egg foo yung? It has scrambled eggs, onions, and bean sprouts. The sauce is amazing on it. I've never made it myself though; I've only had it at restaurants. Here's a recipe I found though; seems simple enough.

And congrats!

Most reactions

trending

Back