Recently Purchased Blackchin Livebearers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Been a while since I have been on the forum, this last year has been rough. Hoping to be a bit more social in the future.
I went to Fishtoberfest last weekend and acquired about a dozen Black Chin Livebearers, Girardinus metallicus. I put them in my 40 gallon breeder tank (36L x 16H x 18W). My ph is about 7.4 and hardness at 110ppm, water temp stays around 76°F.

I haven't been experiencing any problems so far, and these guys seem like easy enough keepers. Is there anything I should be watching out for, or anything specific to get some good spawing? I think I have 3 males and the rest are female.

Attachments

• 20221008_170951.jpg
    20221008_170951.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221008_171227.jpg
    20221008_171227.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221008_181147.jpg
    20221008_181147.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 34
Here they produced young. And produced. Did I mention they produced?

Wow, did they explode in numbers quickly.
Well, my LFS doesn't sell them yet, so hopefully I can give them for credit. That is how I pay for all of my frozen fish food anyhow.

Well, it's a bit funny that we call them black chin as a synonym for Girardinus metallicus. For the original Girardinus metallicus doesn't show a black chin but grey as the rest of the body. The black chin is an aquarium strain just like the version with a yellow chin/belly and the version that shows black and yellow.

Btw, this is one of my favorite livebearers. Still got a colony going overhere.

Well, it's a bit funny that we call them black chin as a synonym for Girardinus metallicus. For the original Girardinus metallicus doesn't show a black chin but grey as the rest of the body. The black chin is an aquarium strain just like the version with a yellow chin/belly and the version that shows black and yellow.

Btw, this is one of my favorite livebearers. Still got a colony going overhere.
That is actually super cool. Makes me wonder what the original common name for them was.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back