Recently planted tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KMW1954

Reaction score
Just some comments and a question on these plants.
The tank is a 36g bowfront, substrate is first a undergound plenum then covered by a mixture or a natural clay kitty litter and potting soil that is about 1" deep over the plenum and then another layer of small smooth pebble over that. Hardscape consists of one very large driftwood and then some assorted sized round stream rock.

Plants started with a Amazon Sword, two types of Java fern, Anubias barteri, S. repens and Alt. reineckii. Almost forgot, also had some dwarf hair grass that melted but now I see small patches.

The Alternanthera probably wasn't a good choice, it perished quickly. The Sword I have had to remove a few leaves but it seems to have stabilized. The Fern is attached to the stones and on a few I also had to remove a few leaves but now they are doing well and they are starting to look like spider plants with all the new sprouts being produced from the tips. The Anubias is attached to the wood and though growing nicely it still doesn't seem to be attaching itself and is still held in place with push pins. The S. repens are also doing OK if I can get the fish to leave them alone. I have another thread about that.

The fern I have already clipped three ends and attached those to other rocks and they are taking off!
Suggestions for other plants that would do well and look good.

The AR mini and Hairgrass are usually classed as medium-hard plants so often need ferts and Co2 etc but not always if you are lucky with the right kind of water (usually slightly soft) they will grow.

I always like some of the big Crypts with Amazon Swords like Balanese. Nice looking contrast of leaves wide and smooth vs thin and textured. If you wanted some nice stems Limnophilla Sessiflora is one of my favourites, so easy to grow, nice bright green plant and good texture. Try some of the penny/money wort species like Cardamine and Hydrocotyle, the big Hydrocotyle is nice and easy or you can get the sp.Japan which is smaller leaved.

Floating plants can add a lot too, I have red root floater which I really like but frogbit, salvinia and a few others are good options.

Or you could even break the water line with a Monsterra or Peace Lilly if that floats your boat?

Wills

I have been looking through a couple of the online sites and see many I like until I see most need Co2. Not quite ready to venture into that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back