Recent convict chichlid fry - what do I do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stueyzermatt

Reaction score
Hi. I wonder if anyone can help. I have a tank of convict chichlids and a couple of them have just hatched their first fry. They are showing signs of being great parents and protecting them very well from the other fish in the tank. However I'm assuming this will end. When is an appropriate time to remove the fry from the community tank. I have an holding tank at the ready with water from the main tank with filter/heater etc.

You can remove them at any time, once they're free swimming and eating independently, but it might trigger the parents to spawn again. The parents are unlikely to turn on the fry until they're ready to breed again.

You can remove them at any time, once they're free swimming and eating independently, but it might trigger the parents to spawn again. The parents are unlikely to turn on the fry until they're ready to breed again.

Thank you very much for your reply. I am doing a bit of an experiment. I have taken half out and left half in just to see what happens. The parents are proving to be very good parents and the fry in the holding tank seem to be doing well too. Let's see what happens.

Most reactions

trending

Back