Reccomended Temperature Advice

Once again thanks for the replies guys. I will take the Rams back tomorrow and explain it was my error. I will look into getting some other fish which with compliment the others. Any suggestions is always welcome.

No idea what you may like, so hard offering suggestions. Main thing is, do not acquire any fish without research to ensure they will suit your tank. One of my local stores has a PC terminal for customer use to do research, quite a benefit. I learned the hard way.

No idea what you may like, so hard offering suggestions. Main thing is, do not acquire any fish without research to ensure they will suit your tank. One of my local stores has a PC terminal for customer use to do research, quite a benefit. I learned the hard way.

Yeah most certainly, learning the hard way is what makes you learn the quickest. In terms of what I like, well I am pretty open-minded to most fish. Ones I prefer most are the active fish. For instance, the Colombian Red Fins Tetra's seem to be a favourite of mine.

Yeah most certainly, learning the hard way is what makes you learn the quickest. In terms of what I like, well I am pretty open-minded to most fish. Ones I prefer most are the active fish. For instance, the Colombian Red Fins Tetra's seem to be a favourite of mine.

OK, then one thing I can say, avoid any sedate fish like cichlids and gourami; they do not appreciate active fish swimming around their space. :fish:

Could I ask how many of each fish you have?

I’ve only been on here a few weeks and I already know what the next advice from the regulars will be: ”Get more Corys!” ;) . ( min 6-8ish, though they don’t have to all be the same). Wait until the knowledgeable posters tell you why though.

Yes definitely get more corydoras. Instead if adding a new type of fish I would increase the numbers in your current shoals, but that's up to you

Yes definitely get more corydoras. Instead if adding a new type of fish I would increase the numbers in your current shoals, but that's up to you

Just curious what is the reason for this? The more of the current shoals of fish means more of a happy environment?

Just curious what is the reason for this? The more of the current shoals of fish means more of a happy environment?
Yes. In the wild they live in groups of hundreds. Stress is greatly reduced when they are in larger groups. @Byron is better at explaining it if you want to know all the ins and outs

Actually, all four species need a few more, some seriously so. As you've asked the question while I was typing, I'll try to answer it.

Shoaling fish species live in groups of doz\ens to hundreds, depending upon the species. The individual fish "expect" this because it is programmed into their DNA. When denied the group (shoal) they will be stressed. Stress is directly responsible for 95% of all aquarium fish disease, plus it generally weakens the fish, and leads to other internal issues. The fish, putting it simply, has a significantly more difficult life, working harder (and using more energy) just in an attempt to maintain its necessary life processes. It will never live to the average expected lifespan for the species because of this. But usually along the way it succumbs to some other issue which it would otherwise be able to easily deal with, but now cannot because it is weakened.

Everyone asks for minimum numbers, and sometimes that may be a necessary concern, but the fact is that the more of the species there are, the more "relaxed" the fish will be, and that is a bonus for the fish and the aquarist. If space does not permit more adequate numbers, it may be best to select another species, depending upon the species involved.

Corydoras must have at least five or six, but a group of 12 for example will always mean "happier" fish because they will be less anxious and thus healthier. Cories are very social; I have 41 wild caught cories, representing 12 species, in my tank, and they have been together now for a decade or more, except for the few fry that have appeared now and then. They chum around across species and frequently spawn. They are healthy, plainly put.

Black Phantom is another species that needs more, here at least 9-12. This is not a very active species, but it will be out and about more with a larger group. I would probably aim for 15 in a 300 liter tank. You need plants, they spend most of their time among plants where it is darker (they have something of a light phobia, common to most characins actually).

The Colombian Tetra can get a bit fin nippy in small groups, and six is small here. Another 3-4 would probably avoid any chance of this, though one can never be certain.

The barb should be kept in a group of 8 or more, or it may become shy and stressed.

Increasing the fish as above would be priority one, and then consider possible additional species. Scientific studies on this particular aspect of fish are few to date, but those that have looked into it have found that the individual fish tend to show increased aggression with smaller numbers; aggressive fish became more so, and peaceful fiswh like neon tetras became mildly aggressive. Clearly there is a profound effect on the fish, and it uses the few means it has to deal with the frustration and stress.

Actually, all four species need a few more, some seriously so. As you've asked the question while I was typing, I'll try to answer it.

Shoaling fish species live in groups of doz\ens to hundreds, depending upon the species. The individual fish "expect" this because it is programmed into their DNA. When denied the group (shoal) they will be stressed. Stress is directly responsible for 95% of all aquarium fish disease, plus it generally weakens the fish, and leads to other internal issues. The fish, putting it simply, has a significantly more difficult life, working harder (and using more energy) just in an attempt to maintain its necessary life processes. It will never live to the average expected lifespan for the species because of this. But usually along the way it succumbs to some other issue which it would otherwise be able to easily deal with, but now cannot because it is weakened.

Everyone asks for minimum numbers, and sometimes that may be a necessary concern, but the fact is that the more of the species there are, the more "relaxed" the fish will be, and that is a bonus for the fish and the aquarist. If space does not permit more adequate numbers, it may be best to select another species, depending upon the species involved.

Corydoras must have at least five or six, but a group of 12 for example will always mean "happier" fish because they will be less anxious and thus healthier. Cories are very social; I have 41 wild caught cories, representing 12 species, in my tank, and they have been together now for a decade or more, except for the few fry that have appeared now and then. They chum around across species and frequently spawn. They are healthy, plainly put.

Black Phantom is another species that needs more, here at least 9-12. This is not a very active species, but it will be out and about more with a larger group. I would probably aim for 15 in a 300 liter tank. You need plants, they spend most of their time among plants where it is darker (they have something of a light phobia, common to most characins actually).

The Colombian Tetra can get a bit fin nippy in small groups, and six is small here. Another 3-4 would probably avoid any chance of this, though one can never be certain.

The barb should be kept in a group of 8 or more, or it may become shy and stressed.

Increasing the fish as above would be priority one, and then consider possible additional species. Scientific studies on this particular aspect of fish are few to date, but those that have looked into it have found that the individual fish tend to show increased aggression with smaller numbers; aggressive fish became more so, and peaceful fiswh like neon tetras became mildly aggressive. Clearly there is a profound effect on the fish, and it uses the few means it has to deal with the frustration and stress.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I will 100% take your suggestions and increase the numbers of the fish I already have before I do anything else.

I had a 'community tank' (125 litre) about 10 years ago, it was exciting bringing something new back from the lfs every so often, but then i started to struggle with aggressive fish and generally them not all getting along or thriving. I had 6 colombian tetra in there actually, lovely fish, especially when their blueish colouration shows. They were always very skittish and probably stressed, (a) they didnt have enough room (b) the tank didnt have enough plants and so was too bright and (c) there wasnt enough of them.
Ive recently setup a 200 litre and so far have only got 12 corydora in there. I think ive pretty much selected them as a favourite fish of mine and, 12 corydora swimming together are as good as having one or two large and expensive fish, in my opinion.
I plan to get a good quantity of barbs in there next and that might be it. Strength in numbers!

Thought I would give you a little update beings you took some time to help me out. So I just returned the 4 rams, I then stocked up on the other fish I have. 6 red fins, 6 black phantoms and 3 more Corydoras.

Just worked out cheaper to buy them that way. Set the temperature back to 25c.

Thank you for the help once again

Thought I would give you a little update beings you took some time to help me out. So I just returned the 4 rams, I then stocked up on the other fish I have. 6 red fins, 6 black phantoms and 3 more Corydoras.

Just worked out cheaper to buy them that way. Set the temperature back to 25c.

Thank you for the help once again

You are very welcome. Now you can consider possible additional species if you like, just give these new additions time to get settled, which should not be very long as they went in with others of their species already settled.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back