Really bad situation

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am cycling a 10-gallon at my apartment. It's pretty close to being done, I think. Maybe another week? But I have a major problem. I'm in a duplex-like living situation only there are 4 units for HUD housing. My next-door neighbor just started to use something REALLY strong smelling (body wash, shampoo, perfume... SOMETHING). That kind of stuff gives me migraines which I'm struggling with again because of insurance refusing to fill my meds the way they used to. Right now, I can't live there.I'm staying with my parents 30 minutes away. I'm going to TRY and stay overnight tonight... go later when the smell is least strong and leave early before she uses it again.

My problem is this tank! I can't stock it if I'm not going to be there, you know? I MIGHT have to move but there is no housing available within 30-ish minutes of my parents... where all my doctors are (I'm on disability) and my mom needs my help (beginning stages of dementia). If it comes to I just CANNOT stay there I'll move my tanks to my parents' place... keeping the filter in tank water, of course. But we're not at that point yet. I'm working with my landlord to mediate with this person.

In the meantime, if the tank cycles, what do I do since I can't stock it to provide natural nutrients from waste, etc? How much should I dose it with liquid ammonia? I assume that's what I'll have to do, anyway. It's a 10 gallon and I cycled it at 1 ppm as it will not be heavily stocked. Please advise. I'm starting to worry.

For the smell can't you confront your neighbor kindly and say: "Hey, while the stuff you use smells great can you either nit use a lot or find something else. It's really messing me up and giving me migraines".... If their nice they will say sorry and stop.
Sorry to hear about your mom 😔

For the smell can't you confront your neighbor kindly and say: "Hey, while the stuff you use smells great can you either nit use a lot or find something else. It's really messing me up and giving me migraines".... If their nice they will say sorry and stop.
Sorry to hear about your mom 😔
Heh. I tried. She didn't even give me the chance to offer to buy her something different. I was told I was a WEIRDO over and over and told never to come near her door again. Now I'm proud of weirdness as to me it's uniqueness. But this was malicious and the way it was used was hurtful. My landlord is working with someone in hopes we can work with her but I have to prepare for if it doesn't.
Thanks about my mom. It's early yet but she is needing more help.

Heh. I tried. She didn't even give me the chance to offer to buy her something different. I was told I was a WEIRDO over and over and told never to come near her door again. Now I'm proud of weirdness as to me it's uniqueness. But this was malicious and the way it was used was hurtful. My landlord is working with someone in hopes we can work with her but I have to prepare for if it doesn't.
Thanks about my mom. It's early yet but she is needing more help.
That's infuriating! I'm so sorry...
What a jerk smh 🙄😡

Maybe she will change. There is hope for everyone I guess...

Go to the apartment management. In most states these types of issues are covered by law. Management will likely say that it is not their responsibility but it is. Bring up the fact that management MUST provide a safe ads secure enviornment. For you this is obviously not a safe environment.

In the meantime, if the tank cycles, what do I do since I can't stock it to provide natural nutrients from waste, etc? How much should I dose it with liquid ammonia? I assume that's what I'll have to do, anyway. It's a 10 gallon and I cycled it at 1 ppm as it will not be heavily stocked. Please advise. I'm starting to worry.

If the tank is set up and (probably) cycled, just leave it running, no fish. The bacteria will not die, they will go into a sort of hibernation for a time. But even if things go wrong, you can always take it up later. Given your circumstances, the stress from this tank is not something I would want. I have been dealing with terminal cancer the past two years, and I know how stressful not being able to properly look after one's fish tanks is. You don't need that.

My sincere wishes to you, and your Mom.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back