Real, (U.s.), Football

KirkyArcher said:
Just a quick question that I hope one of the states side peeps could answer, Why is American Football even called Football for over 98% of the game the ball is either in the air or being cuddled in the players arms?
It comes from English Football, ir Soccer here in the States.
Association Football morphed into Rugby Football, or Rugby here in the States.
Rugby morphed into American Football, or a religion here in the States.

Well looks like it may not be the SEC. Sports commentators are peeing themselves about Ohio State. Who has played how many teams with a winning record?
If they go, they will be embarassed by the Seminoles. Even though 11-1 Auburn deserves to be there.

Will they get embarrassed by the 'Noles if J. Winston can't play because of his (alleged) indiscretions?

The entire NCAA system is broken and has been for DECADES!  A few years ago, #1 LSU (undefeated) beat #2 'Bama (undefeated) to win the 'West' Division.  Then, the winner (LSU) had to go win the SEC Championship game, while the loser ('Bama) enjoyed essentially a bye and got to the NCAA Championship game.  Why was that allowed?  Why was Bama in the Championship game when they didn't even win their own conference?  Is it because they were the #2 ranked team?

But, just a few years earlier than that an (undefeated) #1 Ohio State team beat an (undefeated) #2 Michigan team in the final game of the regular season.  They were also ranked #1 and #2 going into that game.  (A really tight game as well, that could have gone either way.)  But, rather than a rematch (like the SEC crew got), the Wolverines went to the Rose Bowl, while the Buckeyes went to the NC game.   So, if they were the best two teams leading to the game, wouldn't they have to still be the best two teams after the game?  And yet, Michigan slid in the polls afterwards.  Hmmm...

I'm not saying that the Big 10 isn't down right now.  But, there is a HUGE bias in the NCAA towards the SEC, and has been for quite some time.  That said... there should be a proper playoff and anything less than that is just a joke.  Winners of EACH D1 conference should get bids to the playoff, not just the major conferences... and then there should be some at-large bids to fill the pool out.

If the playoff is only 2 or even 4 teams, there's no guarantee that the 'best' team is included.  A team that didn't win their conference should NEVER be allowed in the National Championship game.  But, its not about crowning a proper champion, its about the $$$$$.  That's why the BCS is garbage, and the NCAA basketball tournament is awesome.  Cinderella stories happen yearly in the NCAA basketball tournament.  Wouldn't that make it more fun than the current farce?

eaglesaquarium said:
Will they get embarrassed by the 'Noles if J. Winston can't play because of his (alleged) indiscretions?

The entire NCAA system is broken and has been for DECADES!  A few years ago, #1 LSU (undefeated) beat #2 'Bama (undefeated) to win the 'West' Division.  Then, the winner (LSU) had to go win the SEC Championship game, while the loser ('Bama) enjoyed essentially a bye and got to the NCAA Championship game.  Why was that allowed?  Why was Bama in the Championship game when they didn't even win their own conference?  Is it because they were the #2 ranked team?

But, just a few years earlier than that an (undefeated) #1 Ohio State team beat an (undefeated) #2 Michigan team in the final game of the regular season.  They were also ranked #1 and #2 going into that game.  (A really tight game as well, that could have gone either way.)  But, rather than a rematch (like the SEC crew got), the Wolverines went to the Rose Bowl, while the Buckeyes went to the NC game.   So, if they were the best two teams leading to the game, wouldn't they have to still be the best two teams after the game?  And yet, Michigan slid in the polls afterwards.  Hmmm...

I'm not saying that the Big 10 isn't down right now.  But, there is a HUGE bias in the NCAA towards the SEC, and has been for quite some time.  That said... there should be a proper playoff and anything less than that is just a joke.  Winners of EACH D1 conference should get bids to the playoff, not just the major conferences... and then there should be some at-large bids to fill the pool out.

If the playoff is only 2 or even 4 teams, there's no guarantee that the 'best' team is included.  A team that didn't win their conference should NEVER be allowed in the National Championship game.  But, its not about crowning a proper champion, its about the $$$$$.  That's why the BCS is garbage, and the NCAA basketball tournament is awesome.  Cinderella stories happen yearly in the NCAA basketball tournament.  Wouldn't that make it more fun than the current farce?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
I LIVE to see cinderella teams during March Madness, Unfortunately however, I don't see any "cinderella" teams giving the current top 5 teams even an ounce of competition in NCAAF. I think the only reason those cinderella teams in basketball give anyone a run for their money is their immense amount of heart. Sadly I don't think that same heart exists in football teams that go 6-6 and get paid to get creamed by top teams 
no.gif

How'd you feel about let's say....8-12 team playoffs? 
As far as Winston goes, no, Noles have No chance against even the weak, weak, weak, buckeyes without their pride and joy Famous Jameis (although the Noles defense is NASTY)

I'm not referring to this season when I talk about Cinderella teams, and you also seem to be confusing what I am saying.  No where do I believe that a 6-6 team has any right to even think about being in the running for the NC... as I said, only Conference winners and a few at large to fill out the bracket, that would be about 8-12 teams total, maybe as high as 16. 

The Cinderella teams I was thinking of was not the 6-6 teams that its a disgrace that they actually get a Bowl bid... and end up playing in farce bowls like 'Pinstripe Bowl', etc.  Instead, I was thinking of teams like Fresno State, Boise State or even a MAC team that wins their conference and then goes on a roll through the 'tournament'.   Do you remember how cool the Boise State upset over Oklahoma was in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago?  That's what I am talking about.  I'm not talking about a team like South Carolina or Nebraska who didn't win their conference getting a shot at the NC... That's just crazy.

eaglesaquarium said:
I'm not referring to this season when I talk about Cinderella teams, and you also seem to be confusing what I am saying.  No where do I believe that a 6-6 team has any right to even think about being in the running for the NC... as I said, only Conference winners and a few at large to fill out the bracket, that would be about 8-12 teams total, maybe as high as 16. 

The Cinderella teams I was thinking of was not the 6-6 teams that its a disgrace that they actually get a Bowl bid... and end up playing in farce bowls like 'Pinstripe Bowl', etc.  Instead, I was thinking of teams like Fresno State, Boise State or even a MAC team that wins their conference and then goes on a roll through the 'tournament'.   Do you remember how cool the Boise State upset over Oklahoma was in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago?  That's what I am talking about.  I'm not talking about a team like South Carolina or Nebraska who didn't win their conference getting a shot at the NC... That's just crazy.
Was this the famed statue of liberty, I was pretty young but if we're thinking about ol' Jared Zabransky then we're on the same page.
Would you be in favor of a seed system such as the basketball one but on a much smaller scale of course?

Yup.  And yup.

I figure 12 or 16 teams would probably be a good number... top 4 seeds get a 'bye'.  Bottom 8 seeds have a 'play in game' to get to the Field of 8.

There's the big 6 (although its more like 4) conferences, and then there's the other 4, plus the independents.

eaglesaquarium said:
Yup.  And yup.

I figure 12 or 16 teams would probably be a good number... top 4 seeds get a 'bye'.  Bottom 8 seeds have a 'play in game' to get to the Field of 8.

There's the big 6 (although its more like 4) conferences, and then there's the other 4, plus the independents.
+1 to that idea, it's nice to see someone who knows something about NCAAF 
yes.gif

Its nice to talk about, but the NCAA will never do that.  I saw the numbers from last seasons BCS bowl games... $17M for each team, and $18M for the championship game participants.  I just don't see them messing with that cash cow.

speaking of cash, how do you feel about these schools raking in hundreds of millions and their players going unpaid. should they be allowed to profit off authographs and merchandise or even a modest salary to play? or is getting a free education plenty as it is?

My answer is short and simple. 1Timothy 5:18 states, "For Scripture says, “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain,” (Deuteronomy 25:4) and “The worker deserves his wages.” (Luke 10:7)

Amateurism  is what the sport is about. need not forget. if there good enough to get paid the can wait until they get a proper education.Do i think this merchandising is fair, no but should and i use this term in the least offensive way possible uneducated athletes getting paid to play for a year, then they go one and done and slobber more money.College is about learning and getting an education, not playing for money.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back