Re-Stocking 4Ft Tank With American Cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flinkbag

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

So I want to re-stock my tank after moving my Bala and Rainbow Sharks onto new homes, and I was considering getting some small-medium sized American Cichlids. Problem is, I have no idea who to choose! So I need some suggestions as to who would be suitable to live in a 200 litre mixed community tank alongside my 3 clown loaches, 1 male Fire mouth cichlid and 1 purple spotted gudgeon (who isn't aggressive, but WILL eat anything small enough to fit in its mouth). All of these fish are pretty peaceful towards each other, the loaches being the bosses of the tank, and the fire mouth doing the usual bluff-flare towards the gudgeon from time to time, but never causing trouble. 

I am in love with Severums, but I hear they can either tear any plant to shreds, or can totally leave them alone. I have varying sizes of Anubias in my tank, which I know is a pretty hardy plant, but I'd rather not have any of them torn to shreds. I know they can also reach about 20cm, which is quite large for a 200l tank. I certainly don't want it to be unhappy in there, so I need to know if any of you disagree with putting a sev in my 4ft tank. I've also been looking into Geophagus, and they seem like all-round lovely fish, not to mention a good size for my tank. Are there any other nice american cichlids I should be looking into? Or any other unusual looking fish that make fun pets? I just need help deciding what to stock my tank with, because they've gotta work with my other fish too. 

Thanks in advance!

Sophie :)

I'd hate to tell you this but the clown loaches wont work in a 200 litre tank too, They get huge, Something double the litres of that tank would be acceptable if you choose to keep them.

He could try dwarf loaches though or maybe zebra loaches

Guys don't worry! I know how big Clown Loaches get, I'm planning on upgrading to a much larger aquarium sometime in the near future :) Everyone will benefit from it in the long run, so I'm very happy to spend the money once I have the space for a larger tank.

And thanks Munrocco, those pygmy chain loaches are adorable! I'm not sure if I can get them in Australia, but I'll look into it. 

As for the Severum's, I have bought a beautiful young Green Severum, and so far no plants have been destroyed in the quarantine tank :D Fingers crossed he gets along with everyone else! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back