RCS population

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Well it seems like just a few days since I was eagerly scanning for my first shrimplets and wondering if they had any chance of surviving the attentions of the CPD in the tank.

Will the population regulate itself before it causes overstocking problems or do I need to make a deal with my LFS?

Oh yes - they are red rillis in case anyone in Berks (UK) is interested. Suspect I'll be ready to start giving them away in about 6-8 weeks :rolleyes:

I have found in a large enough tank shrimp kept with not too predatory fish have their numbers grow fairly steadily especially if the tank is heavily planted. I have not found shrimp kept in these conditions to be like guppies in that no matter how cramped the conditions they keep producing more fry. I would warn against being too eager or drastic in the removing of shrimp. Even when I have literally had hundreds, removing more than 20 or so really set back the breeding.

I have found in a large enough tank shrimp kept with not too predatory fish have their numbers grow fairly steadily especially if the tank is heavily planted. I have not found shrimp kept in these conditions to be like guppies in that no matter how cramped the conditions they keep producing more fry. I would warn against being too eager or drastic in the removing of shrimp. Even when I have literally had hundreds, removing more than 20 or so really set back the breeding.
Thanks - I have read similar things about people assuming their shrimp were no longer reproducing and then starting up again when moved into an empty tank so hoped that was the case.

They are in a 15G Flex with a decent school of CPD (24). I started out with 7 in mid Feb. No idea how many there are now but the CPD are comfortably outnumbered :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back