Rb Piranha Spotted At Lfs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mine where in a 260 :) a jewel vision 260 to be exact. I had an APS EF2000+ and a fluval 406 giving me around 2000LPH combined which seemed to do the trick. I was also doing weekly 50% water changes and sand vac so water was always tip top.

I would aim at around 8-10x your water volume as they are messy fish... Well depending on what you feed. So you would need a total of around 3600-4500LPH turnover.

I also have the Rio 400 which I keep my flowerhorn in. Nice tank those :good: getting an 8ftx2x2 from ND Aquatics as soon as Christmas is out of the way.

I'd go for a group of 6 comfortably. Maybe even 8.

Feeding wise I fed mine on flakes when they were around an inch in size and then when they got to around 3 inches they were fed on pellets (hikari massivore) beef heart, bloodworm, krill, smelt (frozen fish), frozen supermarket prawns (every now and again) and the occasional frozen pinky mouse. No need to feed live at all.

Make sure the lighting is very dim too. They get very skittish in bright lighting

Mine where in a 260 :) a jewel vision 260 to be exact. I had an APS EF2000+ and a fluval 406 giving me around 2000LPH combined which seemed to do the trick. I was also doing weekly 50% water changes and sand vac so water was always tip top.

I would aim at around 8-10x your water volume as they are messy fish... Well depending on what you feed. So you would need a total of around 3600-4500LPH turnover.

I also have the Rio 400 which I keep my flowerhorn in. Nice tank those :good: getting an 8ftx2x2 from ND Aquatics as soon as Christmas is out of the way.

I'd go for a group of 6 comfortably. Maybe even 8.

Feeding wise I fed mine on flakes when they were around an inch in size and then when they got to around 3 inches they were fed on pellets (hikari massivore) beef heart, bloodworm, krill, smelt (frozen fish), frozen supermarket prawns (every now and again) and the occasional frozen pinky mouse. No need to feed live at all.

Make sure the lighting is very dim too. They get very skittish in bright lighting

Cool thanks and what are RB's like when young children are around as my kids aren't the quietest and my 2 year old son has a tendency to throw things so if lighting will make them skittish I dread to think what kids are like for them

Well my daughter was going on 7 years old when I had mine. I have 2 nieces and 2 nephews too which at the time were aged 6, 8, 11 and 13 and I didn't have any problems.. No injuries and such but I did play it safe and told them straight away not to put their hands in the tank. I actually told them they would bite if they did... Which seemed to work lol

With a 2 yr old it won't be as easy as that but I can't see you having any problems tbh. As iv said in this thread and previous threads my SA/CA cichlids have been far more aggressive than the RBP's. Piranhas are not likely to attack your hand/fingers, they have only been known to attack if they can sense your injured/weakened or struggling. In these cases you would need a very large group of piranhas and to actually be in the tank with them. Or in a river with them lol have you ever watched river monsters on tv? I have every episode. There is 1 about piranhas. Jeremy wade is in a swimming pool with 100 RBP's and he jumps in a river where there are hundreds if not thousands and they don't do a thing.

SA/CA cichlids like doviis, jags, flowerhorns, red devils, red terrors etc attack no matter what their mood in. Don't get me wrong it is possible to have the above cichlids that are docile but more often than not they have real bad attitudes.

ive seen one some red bellied pirhanas in one of my LFS which i went to 5 weeks ago and havent been there for 10 years and they have marine fish. i was wondering but how do you do water changes with them? the pirhanas i saw were about £25

ive seen one some red bellied pirhanas in one of my LFS which i went to 5 weeks ago and havent been there for 10 years and they have marine fish. i was wondering but how do you do water changes with them? the pirhanas i saw were about £25
Water changes are easy. You just put your hand in and syphon as you normally would. Piranhas are big softies and swim away from you. The cichlids iv owned have been much worse. Especially the flowerhorn I have now. I have to put him into my spare 40gal when I want to clean his tank

i kept a group of 6 RBP, with 2 oscars, a large pleco, and belive it or not 6 corys. fed them on hikari gold, and got fresh fish and cut it into chunks and fed them every other day on the fish and every day on the pellets, the oscars were larger than the RBP but the prianha is a quick grower and will be 6inch in 6 months, but will slow down after a year of growing aroun 8-9inch, and usually max out at 12 inch, they are intresting fish if kept well. and i was turning the water over 18 times an hour and running 3 filters on it!

That's another good example of piranha keeping. That tank must of been huge, like 1000 litres or more to house 6 red bellys as well as 2 oscars, and a plec. Although its never advised to keep piranhas with any other fish especially something like corys as their barbells can be easily damaged and not to mention they are no match for predatory fish . It's just not worth the risk keeping anything with piranhas. They can and sometimes will attack their own kind (as mine did) and so they are a lot more likely to attack other fish. It's not so much to do with the size of the piranhas themselves, it's more to do with the shoal size. In other words the bigger the shoal the more confident they are and so the more likely they are to attack other fish.

A well fed Oscar that is kept in a big enough sized tank should grow quicker than a red belly piranha as i found out. An Oscar will easily grow an inch per month whilst piranhas tend to be slower growing. My dominant piranha hit around 6 inches in 7 months and then got to nearly 7-8 inches in around 10-11 months.

I loved my red bellies for about a year before I decided to switch back to community fish, and because its just one type of fish per tank it got REALLY boring except feeding times... I prefer normal fish haha :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back