Razorback turtle just laid an Egg

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

W4J

Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 razorback turtles, Iā€™m guessing one is female and one is male as I have seen them trying to mate (the previous owner did not tell me).
The larger one had laid 2 eggs on its platform and managed to crush one and break it unfortunately.
Is there any way to tell if the remaining egg is fertile?
And what should I try to do to save the other egg before it gets crushed as well?
330436D4-B527-4A61-BF14-F4A6809CF2A2.jpeg

@Boundava is a member here who keeps turtles, hopefully she'll pipe in with some advice.

I have no idea how to handle the situation...

First- mark the top of the egg with a pencil. If a turtle egg is rotated, the embryo will not survive.
Place it in a small container with a lid, and a few air holes. Use an absorbent medium, such as perlite, peat, or coco fiber. To moisten the medium, soak it good, then wring out as much moisture as you can wring out in your clenched fist. Too dry, the egg will shrivel. Too wet and it will mold.
Place the egg on top of the medium, and incubate it around 76-80f or so. If the egg is fertile, a white spot will appear on the top of the egg, and it will gradually enlarge. They take three-four months to hatch.
If these are fertile eggs, then you had a successful breeding and should expect more eggs.

First- mark the top of the egg with a pencil. If a turtle egg is rotated, the embryo will not survive.
Place it in a small container with a lid, and a few air holes. Use an absorbent medium, such as perlite, peat, or coco fiber. To moisten the medium, soak it good, then wring out as much moisture as you can wring out in your clenched fist. Too dry, the egg will shrivel. Too wet and it will mold.
Place the egg on top of the medium, and incubate it around 76-80f or so. If the egg is fertile, a white spot will appear on the top of the egg, and it will gradually enlarge. They take three-four months to hatch.
If these are fertile eggs, then you had a successful breeding and should expect more eggs.
Thank you! I watched a few YouTube videos and did some research and have done already done exactly what you said. Iā€™m still thinking of a way to keep the incubator box at the right temperature but Iā€™ll come up with a solution soon. I appreciate your response.

Most reactions

Back