FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Here are my findings on owning a razorback musk Turtle
Agree or disagree but here they are .
They are almost entirely aquatic even with crawling access to the surface it spends 23.5 hours under the water per day
they are social in my opinion and much prefers a tank with an active environment than a empty calm tank
they are compatible with fish the only time it’s involved in aggression with a fish it’s on the receiving end
They eat ... anything spending 20£ on a pot of “turtle food” was completely unnecessary as it much prefer a fluval cichlids bug bite
They do prefer slow moving water as they are not so strong swimmers a will walk and crawl where ever possible
Not spending much time out of the water a UV basking lamp isn’t required as long as kept indoors As most houses are kept in the 20-30c temp anyways
After a short owning period I have decided to keep the turtle named squirt in my 500l fish tank rather than its newly built expansive turtle enclosure as it’s much happier and active in the tank , these finding may be premature or exclusive to a specific but these not much info on these turtles on google and this maybe helpful to somebody who has acquired an unexpected razorback turtle .... (turtle is one inch in size )

Is there fish in this tank?

You've owned the turtle for exactly one week.

Yes, it does seem premature to throw out all known information on a species and evidence given by scientists and herp collectors, claiming to have better advice for people who want a turtle, based on your single week of owning an impulse bought (not "unexpected") musk turtle.

@Herpin Man

Is there fish in this tank?
Yes the largest is a green Severum the smallest a Colombian tetra both fairly substantial for the species

You've owned the turtle for exactly one week.

Yes, it does seem premature to throw out all known information on a species and evidence given by scientists and herp collectors, claiming to have better advice for people who want a turtle, based on your single week of owning an impulse bought (not "unexpected") musk turtle.

@Herpin Man
Agree or disgaree

Link to OP's previous thread, for anyone interested

I've never kept turtles and fish in the same tank before, but I do know that turtles eat fish - period. At the very least, the fish will perceive the turtle as a threat and this can cause stress. At it's worst, it will result in them being eaten.

Without have a pond from them to co-exist in, I fear that you have have just put predator and prey in the same tank together. As that turtle grows, so will it's appetite.

I've never kept turtles and fish in the same tank before, but I do know that turtles eat fish - period. At the very least, the fish will perceive the turtle as a threat and this can cause stress. At it's worst, it will result in them being eaten.

Without have a pond from them to co-exist in, I fear that you have have just put predator and prey in the same tank together. As that turtle grows, so will it's appetite.
Oh 100% a 6inch turtle would eat 80% of my fish stock but at one inch it’s the smallest in my tank I agree situation will change in a year but for people who are confused as to if these can temporarily grow out with fish and without other land access that other turtles require this may help , I have noticed that it likes follow the so called dither fish like my silver dollars but there is no way it could one eat a 5 inch fish and two being a weak swimmer catch them but as mentioned I haven’t owned the animal long and it is really small but so far it really does enjoy the fish tank rather tank the shallow turtle tank

1. you need to feed a turtle a much more complex and rich diet than fish bug bites, you will see the health complications some day - i've seen it happen
2. do you even know what a UV lamp is?
you should rehome the turtle if you aren't prepared to give proper care
(also might be one of the only times i use the "ignore" function, for my sake)

1. you need to feed a turtle a much more complex and rich diet than fish bug bites, you will see the health complications some day - i've seen it happen
2. do you even know what a UV lamp is?
you should rehome the turtle if you aren't prepared to give proper care
(also might be one of the only times i use the "ignore" function, for my sake)
A lamp that projects ultraviolet light

Thanks for your review guyb93.
Some folk are mistaking your review as some form of advice.I personally can’t work out their problem,but they do have a problem.

Thanks for your review guyb93.
Some folk are mistaking your review as some form of advice.I personally can’t work out their problem,but they do have a problem.
Yeah I’m just assuming some people have too much time to play around on the internet n that’s exactly that I acquired a turtle with no knowledge and very little to read online about them , still know nothing about them and I’m not telling people this is how to keep them it’s just a little bit of info that would of answered my original few questions

By not providing an appropriate UVB lamp, you run the risk of the turtle developing metabolic bone disease. This is usually evidenced by softening of the shell. By the time it is noticeable, it is usually fatal. While it's true that musk turtles don't always bask out of the water, they do bask in shallow water. In captivity, they should be provided both options.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back