Raw Vegetables

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rex740

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have heard you can feed your fish cucumbers and carrots, how do you prepare them? Are you suppose to just cut a piece of carrot (I have baby carrots) and throw it in the tank? Also, do you just cut a slice of cucumber and throw it in the tank? And what other raw vegetables can you feed your fish?

I've never hear of anyone feeding carrots but lots of people use cucumbers and zuchini (sp?). I've never had much success in gettting my fish to eat them. All you have to do is blanch them. Just make sure they are cool before putting them in the tank. You will have to find a way to hold them under water though as they will float back to the top.

Put them in boiling water for a few seconds. When I used veggies, I put them in a cup of water in the microwave and then brought it to a boil. As soon as it started to boil, I took it out.

I sometimes feed carrot to my fish, the silver dollars really like it, especially if I soften it in my fingers. Its also meant to promote red colouring as it contains keratin or something I read.

Do you just cut a small piece of carrot and put it in the tank?

I feed my apple snail and Oto bits of blanched lettuce every now and then. They go wild over it. Nothing funnier than seeing a snail and oto play tug of war over a piece of lettuce :D.

I give my fish lettuce but they never eat it. They do eat mango and banana though.

Do you just cut a small piece of carrot and put it in the tank?

It was cooked carrot, don't know if this would remove some nutrients but they liked it and I don't think it would hurt them. I just nick some from my mums cooking once in a while, they are fairly small pieces. I found I don't have to cut them small, my oscar is the first to the food, turns out he doesnt like the taste of carrot so spits it out all chewed up :p

my gourami is willing to eat chunks of carrot raw. i give him all times of fruits and veggies. he likes tomato, banana(his fav), orange, apple, pears, mango, watermelon, cantaloupe, and some countless tropical asian fruits. he also enjoys lettuce, spinach, bean sprout, snow peas, celery, red cabbage. he will eat practically everything. i try not to give him leafy veggies since he takes nasty craps afterwards.

i tried giving him meat but he doesnt like it. and when he gets really hungry, he gets my attention by ripping apart the plastic plants(he knows that they arent edible).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back