Rats..... Hmm...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zophie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of getting a small furry animal... I went to my LFS and to the SPCA, and I started to like the rats :unsure:
I am thinking of getting some, but have a few Q.'s :blush:

1. I have a old dog cage that is fairly big. My dog is 100 pounds, so the cage is about 12 square feet. Do you think this would be okay to have rat's in? It's black wire with a solid bottem. The one thing i'm worried about is that the bar spaces are fairly long and thin- about 1 inch across and four inches down. Is this cage a death trap, then?

2. If my cage is okay (if not, I will get a new one), I am trying to figure out male's or female's. I like the big and cuddly idea of the male rat's, but I have herd a lot of bad things about when they get in heat.... :0

So, have any of you kept rats? What have been your experience's in the past?

I have kept a lot of small animals in the past , mostly rabbits, chinchilla's, and degus. Are rat's easier or harder to look after then these animals?

Thanks for all the help!
\
Zophie

I think your bars are too far apart, if a rat can get its head (eyes) through it will try and get the rest through, which it either will or get stuck and possibly hurt. I'd get a proper rat or ferret cage.

Also i'd look into getting a rat from a breeder rather than a pet shop, they tend to be prone to cancer if inbred, and not as tame as those from a breeder. Female rats are much easier to look after and urinate less than males.

I think your bars are too far apart, if a rat can get its head (eyes) through it will try and get the rest through, which it either will or get stuck and possibly hurt. I'd get a proper rat or ferret cage.

Also i'd look into getting a rat from a breeder rather than a pet shop, they tend to be prone to cancer if inbred, and not as tame as those from a breeder. Female rats are much easier to look after and urinate less than males.
Okay, thankyou very much for yor advice.
I have two more q.'s

1. My LFS does not have very many cages- do you reccomend one that will be easy to find?
2. If I can't find a cage, do you know of any small animals that will be fine living with such large bar spaces?

Thank you, so much!

ZOphie :good:

Rats are good pets but there are a few things to consider, first off, please understand that there will be vet bills.........rats are accident prone :lol: not all the time but the odd one may need to be looked at.

Your cage bar spacing is too wide, go by the rule that rats can squeeze through bar spacing the size of their head (usually complies with kittens). Pref spacing should be around 50mm, adults 1 inch.

Cages I would suggest for a starter is the freddy savic 2, or any rat freddy cage, jenny cage, 'the explorer' or the liberta cage. Below is a handy rat cage calculater, don't go by the max amount, if it says 5 rats, keep 3 etc.

rat cage calculator

Rats need to be in a min. of 2, no reputable breeder will sell you just 1 rat, if you have none, keep that in mind :good:

There are a wide range of cages available online, so have a look about. If you can not afford a cage and your current cage has bar spacing that it too big, you can always place metal netting on the outside but think carefully.

I would not suggest buying rats from petstores, they tend to be rat farmed and are rarely the picture of good health. Basically, you may well be looking at many vet bills and ashorter life span. A good breeder will provide you with papers, you'll know the line and in the safer knowledge that you have a healty rat.

Also, petstore rats are hard work to tame, they haven't been handled since birth and being stuck in a cage, with out taming, will give you a less enjoyable time. Breeder bred rats are more friendly, they are use to humans and not as much hard work. I have experience from both sides, I would never buy a petshop rat again :sad:

Research rats, they can't have sawdust or dusty beddings (pine & Cedar bedding is extremely harmful to rats), it's bad for them and will eventually scar their lungs (cotton fibre bedding is a no no too). Meaning frequent vet visits and money for antibiotics, you can use eco-card, hemp bedding, carefresh, shredded paper. A lot of decent beddings you can buy from stores that sell horse bedding. Hay isn't really advised, as it can be dusty.

For food, store stuff just doesn't meet the requirements of a rat's diet. You can make your own base dried food, i use;

Red/green/yellow lentils
poppy, sunflower, sesame, linseed,pumpkin seeds
oats - fresh and porridge
green split peas
sweetcorn (the popcorn pod thingys)
Hemp
wheat
crackers -dry and rye
Barley
brown and white rice
white and brown pasta
spelt flakes
maize
soya beans
assorted beans mix
peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts
dog kibble

You can use cereals, just break them up.

All of the above, i put evenly into a container, mixed it up and last weeks. I add fresh veg to it;

tomatos (vit c)
cucumber
lettuce (don't use iceburg)
carrots
fresh herbs (parsley,mint,thyme)
apple
banana (although this tends to be a dry version)

couple of times a week, they will get a treat, yogurt or baby food, rats love baby food :good:

Add meats in too, dried meal worms are a fav, you can give them cooked meats too but only a little.

Male rats need twice the cleaning routine on a weekly basis, compared to girls. Unneutered bucks do smell, so be warned. Males are lazy and like their cuddles, females are active and like to search.

Keep their cage somewhere that will ensure they are busy, as kittens, they will need the use of ladders but as they get older, give them more ropes etc.

You can make hammocks out of clothes, own materials or buy them but make sure you have spares, as you will need to wash them every few weekrs. Here is a picture of my cage;

sxzk1k.jpg

I change the lay out each week but you should get the drift with that pic.

I make hammocks out of old tshirts of mine or my sons, along with hammocks i brought online.

You can make 'dig boxes' for your ratties, they love to scavenge and hunt. Pretty easy really, get a big plastic tub (washing basin/toy box etc) and fill it with soil/hay. I use hay as they can be messy, i hid nuts, other bits of dried food (treats like dog chews etc) and they spend ages going through it. Some people use sand but if you do, make sure you have checked that there are no bugs, use play sand. Some people use soil and plant herbs in it, like the below picture;

toysdiggingbox.jpg

picture taken from this linked site

When I let my rats out, they get a tub filled with water and peas/sweetcorn at the bottom. I filled the tub up with 2" of water and they go fishing, they love it :good:

within the cage, if you are going to use wood for housing, make sure it's non-treated or treated purely for the purpose of rats. Cardboard boxes make good rat houses, although they will be prone to eventually eat it :lol: empty ice cream boxes are good too.

There are certain illnesses that you have to watch out for with rats, the below link will give you a much needed i-ndepth look;

Rat health guide

Don't be put off by this, it's just for FYI purposes.

I am pretty brain dead at the moment but if i think of anything else, i'll let you know.

Just to quickly add, here is a thread on a rat forum I am a member on. It shows you the home-made cages/adaptions and I thought it might help;

fancy rat forum

ETA: female rats come into heat once every 5 days, so don't worry if girls start humping eachother, it's normal :lol:

Just to quickly add, here is a thread on a rat forum I am a member on. It shows you the home-made cages/adaptions and I thought it might help;

fancy rat forum

ETA: female rats come into heat once every 5 days, so don't worry if girls start humping eachother, it's normal :lol:
Oh, BethK- thankyou so much for that info! Right now i will go through it and READ.... I have decided to get female rat's, because I'm worried about the male's in heat. One thing. I have a shelter close to me that has a good rep for small animals- do you think I should go for a breeder, or a shelter?

ZOphie :good:

rescue rats are a good idea but be prepared for the work they may need :good:

rats should have 1hr a day, handling etc but rescues may need longer. my jasper is a rescue from a shelter, best choice i made :good:

I think Beth has covered most bases!
I agree!

Rats are good pets but there are a few things to consider, first off, please understand that there will be vet bills.........rats are accident prone :lol: not all the time but the odd one may need to be looked at.

Your cage bar spacing is too wide, go by the rule that rats can squeeze through bar spacing the size of their head (usually complies with kittens). Pref spacing should be around 50mm, adults 1 inch.

Cages I would suggest for a starter is the freddy savic 2, or any rat freddy cage, jenny cage, 'the explorer' or the liberta cage. Below is a handy rat cage calculater, don't go by the max amount, if it says 5 rats, keep 3 etc.

rat cage calculator

Rats need to be in a min. of 2, no reputable breeder will sell you just 1 rat, if you have none, keep that in mind :good:

There are a wide range of cages available online, so have a look about. If you can not afford a cage and your current cage has bar spacing that it too big, you can always place metal netting on the outside but think carefully.

I would not suggest buying rats from petstores, they tend to be rat farmed and are rarely the picture of good health. Basically, you may well be looking at many vet bills and ashorter life span. A good breeder will provide you with papers, you'll know the line and in the safer knowledge that you have a healty rat.

Also, petstore rats are hard work to tame, they haven't been handled since birth and being stuck in a cage, with out taming, will give you a less enjoyable time. Breeder bred rats are more friendly, they are use to humans and not as much hard work. I have experience from both sides, I would never buy a petshop rat again :sad:

Research rats, they can't have sawdust or dusty beddings (pine & Cedar bedding is extremely harmful to rats), it's bad for them and will eventually scar their lungs (cotton fibre bedding is a no no too). Meaning frequent vet visits and money for antibiotics, you can use eco-card, hemp bedding, carefresh, shredded paper. A lot of decent beddings you can buy from stores that sell horse bedding. Hay isn't really advised, as it can be dusty.

For food, store stuff just doesn't meet the requirements of a rat's diet. You can make your own base dried food, i use;

Red/green/yellow lentils
poppy, sunflower, sesame, linseed,pumpkin seeds
oats - fresh and porridge
green split peas
sweetcorn (the popcorn pod thingys)
Hemp
wheat
crackers -dry and rye
Barley
brown and white rice
white and brown pasta
spelt flakes
maize
soya beans
assorted beans mix
peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts
dog kibble

You can use cereals, just break them up.

All of the above, i put evenly into a container, mixed it up and last weeks. I add fresh veg to it;

tomatos (vit c)
cucumber
lettuce (don't use iceburg)
carrots
fresh herbs (parsley,mint,thyme)
apple
banana (although this tends to be a dry version)

couple of times a week, they will get a treat, yogurt or baby food, rats love baby food :good:

Add meats in too, dried meal worms are a fav, you can give them cooked meats too but only a little.

Male rats need twice the cleaning routine on a weekly basis, compared to girls. Unneutered bucks do smell, so be warned. Males are lazy and like their cuddles, females are active and like to search.

Keep their cage somewhere that will ensure they are busy, as kittens, they will need the use of ladders but as they get older, give them more ropes etc.

You can make hammocks out of clothes, own materials or buy them but make sure you have spares, as you will need to wash them every few weekrs. Here is a picture of my cage;

sxzk1k.jpg

I change the lay out each week but you should get the drift with that pic.

I make hammocks out of old tshirts of mine or my sons, along with hammocks i brought online.

You can make 'dig boxes' for your ratties, they love to scavenge and hunt. Pretty easy really, get a big plastic tub (washing basin/toy box etc) and fill it with soil/hay. I use hay as they can be messy, i hid nuts, other bits of dried food (treats like dog chews etc) and they spend ages going through it. Some people use sand but if you do, make sure you have checked that there are no bugs, use play sand. Some people use soil and plant herbs in it, like the below picture;

toysdiggingbox.jpg

picture taken from this linked site

When I let my rats out, they get a tub filled with water and peas/sweetcorn at the bottom. I filled the tub up with 2" of water and they go fishing, they love it :good:

within the cage, if you are going to use wood for housing, make sure it's non-treated or treated purely for the purpose of rats. Cardboard boxes make good rat houses, although they will be prone to eventually eat it :lol: empty ice cream boxes are good too.

There are certain illnesses that you have to watch out for with rats, the below link will give you a much needed i-ndepth look;

Rat health guide

Don't be put off by this, it's just for FYI purposes.

I am pretty brain dead at the moment but if i think of anything else, i'll let you know.
What do you think about Martin cage's? Right now i'm thinking of getting the Rat Tower - 24x14x36

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
1. I would not use a dog crate, the bars seem to far apart.

2. My best friend has a female rat and she is a love, so Im not sure how to answe this one. lol

It seems ok but at a push, it could home 3 rats. Looks like cleaning could be ok, stripe the rat stuff out, pop in the bath/shower and hose down.

Could I suggest a few cages in the US?

$85 cage - 3 rats

$74 - 3 rats

$85 - 6 rats - personal favorite

3 to 4 rats

$79 - 2 rats

If you can stretch your money, this $129 cage is perfect :good:
Thankyou, BethK. I looked at them, and I liked the one you like- 85$- 6 rats. Is this cage also good quality? (It seems so cheep!) Have you ever used this cage before? Oh, and one other thing. I live in Canada. Do you think I could find this cage here, or should I order through Amazon?

Once again, thanks a billion for your help!

Zophie :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Zophie

I did a bit of surfing around and found it slightly cheaper on this website :good:

Please excuse my ignorance but can you order from the US and have delivered to Canada?

It looks to be a good cage but I would ditch the tubes and possibly the bottom shelve, depending if they are strong. See if you can find shelvings like these :good:

I say ditch the tube as an juvvie rat and adult will get stuck in them.

The cage is cheap, most prob due to the base being more plastic, for a first cage, it is fab and big. Over time, you'll end up removing the accessories it came with, for your own :lol:

Hi Zophie

I did a bit of surfing around and found it slightly cheaper on this website :good:

Please excuse my ignorance but can you order from the US and have delivered to Canada?

It looks to be a good cage but I would ditch the tubes and possibly the bottom shelve, depending if they are strong. See if you can find shelvings like these :good:

I say ditch the tube as an juvvie rat and adult will get stuck in them.

The cage is cheap, most prob due to the base being more plastic, for a first cage, it is fab and big. Over time, you'll end up removing the accessories it came with, for your own :lol:
Okay, cool. Oh, and what I mnt about the whole Canada/U.s thing, was that oftin the shipper's won't go out of the border :sly:
But, I looked on Amazon Canada, and they had this product :lol: There seems to be good revveiws- all the bad one's are about ferrets, not rats. So here is my over all plan.

-This cage
CareFresh bedding
-A bunch of home-made toys, bird toys, and my old cat toys
-I will feed them a buch of veggies/fruit etc. One of the reason's why I wanted to get a rat was because I wanted something that didn't eat to much meat (I don't eat meat)- after dogs,cats,reptiles, and oscar's this will be nice change :lol:
-I'll keep the cage in my bedroom where the temp is about 20 degrees celsius.
-I will be getting four female rat's from a rescue group
-they willl be five months old.

I think tha's about it... If I think of anything else, I will let you know!
Please tell me if there's anything wrong with my selections.

Zophie

-oh, yes, one more thing- I have already got two heavy clay dishes for feeding, I will get two waterbottles. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back