FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Redtailedshark

Reaction score
Some info:
Size-20 gallon long tank
Stock-Golden dojo loaches, yo-yo loach, red tailed shark, mollies, white cloud minnows(gold variety), albino cherry barb, banjo cat, too cat, Nerite snails.
Planted-half planted half artificial.
Filtration-Aqueon10 and sponge filter for redundant filtration in case of failure.
2 bubblers.

I have plans to make it completely planted and remove the colorful parts of a substrate and make it completely black sand and small gravel. I also want to remove the artificial looking decor and replace it with spider wood and natural decor The tank will be upgraded to a 55 gallon or 75 gallon as the red tailed shark grows bigger.
All of these fish are rescues and have been thriving and the water parameters are steady.
Any and all feedback and ratings are appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 1,215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 63
Some info:
Size-20 gallon long tank
Stock-Golden dojo loaches, yo-yo loach, red tailed shark, mollies, white cloud minnows(gold variety), albino cherry barb, banjo cat, too cat, Nerite snails.
Planted-half planted half artificial.
Filtration-Aqueon10 and sponge filter for redundant filtration in case of failure.
2 bubblers.

I have plans to make it completely planted and remove the colorful parts of a substrate and make it completely black sand and small gravel. I also want to remove the artificial looking decor and replace it with spider wood and natural decor The tank will be upgraded to a 55 gallon or 75 gallon as the red tailed shark grows bigger.
All of these fish are rescues and have been thriving and the water parameters are steady.
Any and all feedback and ratings are appreciated!
all those bottom feeder fish will grow REALLY BIG
the shark might attack the smaller fish once it grows larger

i think a 75g + is a good idea :)

You need a picture on the back of the tank to help the fish feel more comfortable. You need some floating plants for the same reason.

The dojo loaches are going to get too big for the tank and end up 10-12 inches long.

The yoyo loaches need to be kept in groups of at least 6 (preferably 10 or more) of their own kind.

It's best to only have 1 species of loach per tank because they usually fight.

Sand or small smooth gravel is better for loaches.

The banjo catfish will eat the white cloud mountain minnows and the cherry barbs.

Mollies need water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 250ppm. Most of the other fishes come from softer water.

all those bottom feeder fish will grow REALLY BIG
the shark might attack the smaller fish once it grows larger

i think a 75g + is a good idea :)
Iā€™m definitely planning on that 75 once they are increasing in size, they are small right now so Iā€™m hoping I have a few weeks or month to transition them!

You need a picture on the back of the tank to help the fish feel more comfortable. You need some floating plants for the same reason.

The dojo loaches are going to get too big for the tank and end up 10-12 inches long.

The yoyo loaches need to be kept in groups of at least 6 (preferably 10 or more) of their own kind.

It's best to only have 1 species of loach per tank because they usually fight.

Sand or small smooth gravel is better for loaches.

The banjo catfish will eat the white cloud mountain minnows and the cherry barbs.

Mollies need water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 250ppm. Most of the other fishes come from softer water.
The loaches were together before I got them and luckily they have been minding their own business so far! But I think I may end up putting them in seperate tanks if they get aggressive. Iā€™m probably going to transition the substrate to completely sand, approx 80 percent is sand right now. Do you think a 75 would be big enough

No idea how big a 75 gallon tank is?

The dojo loaches should be in a tank that is 6 foot or longer.
The yoyo loaches should be in a tank that is 4 foot or longer.

I don't think your Yo Yo Loach is a Yo Yo, looks more like a Kubutai. Same basic requirements though, groups of 5+ etc.

Most 75s are 4 foot tanks so would cover most of your fish but I'd do it sooner than later as small tanks can stunt fish pretty quickly. So long as your water is pretty neutral in terms of ph and hardness you should be ok, the Mollies need it slightly on the harder side. Your Banjo Cat could get predatory as it grows towards the Cherry Barbs, White Clouds and young Mollies. What is the Too Catfish?

Rescuing fish is a very valiant thing to do but just make sure you are happy to keep them as you are not the only option for them and if you get disheartened they are back at square one. Rescuing is also addictive and you feel like you have a responsibility to keep doing it because you've done it once and end up with overstocked tanks and iffy mixes like this.

When you get to the bigger tank, I'd go for more natural materials and more plants - either real or silk. A sand substrate is a good idea too - a lot of your bottom dwellers will want to burrow so wont be living their best lives on gravel.

Wills

I don't think your Yo Yo Loach is a Yo Yo, looks more like a Kubutai. Same basic requirements though, groups of 5+ etc.

Most 75s are 4 foot tanks so would cover most of your fish but I'd do it sooner than later as small tanks can stunt fish pretty quickly. So long as your water is pretty neutral in terms of ph and hardness you should be ok, the Mollies need it slightly on the harder side. Your Banjo Cat could get predatory as it grows towards the Cherry Barbs, White Clouds and young Mollies. What is the Too Catfish?

Rescuing fish is a very valiant thing to do but just make sure you are happy to keep them as you are not the only option for them and if you get disheartened they are back at square one. Rescuing is also addictive and you feel like you have a responsibility to keep doing it because you've done it once and end up with overstocked tanks and iffy mixes like this.

When you get to the bigger tank, I'd go for more natural materials and more plants - either real or silk. A sand substrate is a good idea too - a lot of your bottom dwellers will want to burrow so wont be living their best lives on gravel.

Wills
Hi, itā€™s an otocinclus cat! Iā€™m thinking of probably getting the bigger tank this next Friday, and from the start putting only sand and live plants in it. Does a tank need to me cycled if I used the sand substrate, filter media and water form the old tank?

Hi, itā€™s an otocinclus cat! Iā€™m thinking of probably getting the bigger tank this next Friday, and from the start putting only sand and live plants in it. Does a tank need to me cycled if I used the sand substrate, filter media and water form the old tank?
That sounds great! If you just move over the filter and all its media with the same amount of fish you will be in the same place you are now but a bigger volume of water if that makes sense?

I know you've listed the species but can you give us the numbers and we can maybe help plan what the next steps are for this tank?

Wills

That sounds great! If you just move over the filter and all its media with the same amount of fish you will be in the same place you are now but a bigger volume of water if that makes sense?

I know you've listed the species but can you give us the numbers and we can maybe help plan what the next steps are for this tank?

Wills
hi yeah! Thereā€™s the 6 mollies, 1 yoyo/kubutai loach, 3 dojo, 1 banjo, 1red tail, 1oto cat, 3 cherry barbs,3 cloud minnows.

hi yeah! Thereā€™s the 6 mollies, 1 yoyo/kubutai loach, 3 dojo, 1 banjo, 1red tail, 1oto cat, 3 cherry barbs,3 cloud minnows.
And what do you want to achieve with the 75 gallon? Just wondering if you keep the smaller fish in the 20 gallon and move the mollies, loaches, banjo and red tail in the 75? I wouldnt get any more dojos in there but would try and get more of the same loach and then think about how you build a community around them maybe some pearl gourami could be cool in there? A school of Black Ruby Barbs would be good in there too.

Do you know your water hardness?

Wills

And what do you want to achieve with the 75 gallon? Just wondering if you keep the smaller fish in the 20 gallon and move the mollies, loaches, banjo and red tail in the 75? I wouldnt get any more dojos in there but would try and get more of the same loach and then think about how you build a community around them maybe some pearl gourami could be cool in there? A school of Black Ruby Barbs would be good in there too.

Do you know your water hardness?

Wills
That sounds good!! I honestly donā€™t have many goals except for the fish to be happy. The water ph was 7.2 but Iā€™m not sure of the hardness

If you are on mains water, your water provider's website may give your hardness; if it doesn't you can call them to ask. Make sure they give you a number and the unit of measurement as there are several they could use.

Or take some tap water to a lfs and ask them to test it. Again get a number and the unit.

I would leave the cherry barbs and white clouds in their current tank and move the other fishes into the new tank.

Take half the filter media from the current filter and use it in the new tank's filter. Monitor ammonia and nitrite levels for a few weeks and you should be fine.

Then you can add a few more white clouds and cherry barbs if you like, so they have a group of 6-10 of each. And get some more yoyo loaches after you move them to the new tank.

If you are on mains water, your water provider's website may give your hardness; if it doesn't you can call them to ask. Make sure they give you a number and the unit of measurement as there are several they could use.

Or take some tap water to a lfs and ask them to test it. Again get a number and the unit.
Thank you Iā€™ll do that!

Most reactions

Back