Rate my tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Really? My Anubias takes off. I now have cuttings from the one plant in 3 different tanks and itā€™s going well in all. I have to keep trimming the mother plant. Maybe it depends on lighting and fertā€™s. I do like Amazon Sword but Ludwigia and Vallis fall apart on me. I guess itā€™s whatever works in your individual tank.

Put a small Anubias plant in a pot with potting mix and have that in a container of water. Let the water evaporate so the plant is growing out of water like a normal garden plant. Fertilise it and compare it to the ones in the aquarium. After 6 months there should be a huge difference between them.

It does depend on what kind of Anubias you get some look really nice in a tank with very large leaves, but they are VERY slow growers in a tank, i grew mine underwater but let the leaves grow above water was it worked very very well until it blocked the light for everything else in the tank >_<

Tharā€™s What happened to me. Mine Was in there for well over a year but with Flourish and Excel it took off and covered everything. I had to trim it down. Beautiful though.

Anubias are not true aquatic plants and don't grow to their full potential when kept underwater. Get them if you like but I don't like them in aquariums.They are much better grown in a pot by a window or under a tree.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma and ruba/ rubra, Elodia/ Hydrilla, Ludwigia, narrow Vallis, common Amazon Sword plant, and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

Water Sprite is a floating plant but can also be grown in the substrate. the other plants should be planted in the gravel. Anubias should be tied to some wood or rock where they will attach to and grow slowly.

-------------------------
How much light is on the tank and how long is it on for?
Some plants like Ambulia and Hygrophila sp will close their leaves up when they have had enough light. The top set of leaves will close up against each other and then the next set closes up against the stem and so on down the plant. Leave the light on for about 1 hour after the top few sets of leaves have closed up against the stem, then turn it off.

They still havenā€™t got the anubias in, so Iā€™m still waiting, Iā€™m not sure what light it is, but itā€™s an aqua one, which they give the light in the kit box, Iā€™ll probably go for anubias because my tank is kind of full with planted plants, Iā€™ll take a photo now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11e7dc34a1ced89de543040a3a87d73b.jpg

I see just the right spot for the Anubias. Looking nice!

What about Bolbitus or java Fern?
You could get 2 more bits of driftwood and put them in the back corners. Have Bolbitus on one bit of wood and Java Fern on the other bit.

Put some Ambulia or Hygrophila polysperma along the back and some pygmy chain swords in the front.

What about Bolbitus or java Fern?
You could get 2 more bits of driftwood and put them in the back corners. Have Bolbitus on one bit of wood and Java Fern on the other bit.

Put some Ambulia or Hygrophila polysperma along the back and some pygmy chain swords in the front.

Hm, I think we have java fern available here, and maybe pygmy chain, not sure bolbitus, definitely have ambulia, never seen hygrophila

Definitely get some anubias. They are so hardy and have a lovely green under the right lighting. Also anubias do great underwater and do grow a bit slow, but ferts do help with that. You can also buy large ones if you don't want to wait for them to grow out but the larger they are the more expensive. When I set mine up I just bought a few small ones for about six dollars a piece and attached the a few inches apart on the same piece of wood. Gave a fuller look without the price of a larger one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back