Rasboras or cherry barbs with Honey Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Planning to get a trio of Honey Gourami for my first tank but the first lot of fish in the tank will either be a school of cherry barbs or Harlequin Rasbora. Which one goes better with the Honey Gourami?

What is the tank size and water parameters?

Just be aware that while a lot of places say 3, 2 female and 1 male, rather than 2 Honeys you can still have issues with dominance in the group.

I've got a group of purple harlequin rasboras in my 100L tank with a honey gourami, they get on fine.

Whats the tank size and what is your GH?
This will impact the choice.

Just be aware that while a lot of places say 3, 2 female and 1 male, rather than 2 Honeys you can still have issues with dominance in the group.

Yeh I've heard about that, I was going to go for a single dwarf gourami but their high chances of getting that virus put me off.

Living in Scotland, you'll probably have very soft water.

To make sure, go to this page
Enter your postcode on the box on the left, this will tell you your supply zone ('site name'). Then click on the water hardness data box on the right. Download the pdf for 2019 and look up your supply zone in the table. You need 2 figures; the one in the 'hardness as mg/l CaCO3' column is the same as ppm and the one in the 'German degrees' column is the same as dH.

Living in Scotland, you'll probably have very soft water.

To make sure, go to this page
Enter your postcode on the box on the left, this will tell you your supply zone ('site name'). Then click on the water hardness data box on the right. Download the pdf for 2019 and look up your supply zone in the table. You need 2 figures; the one in the 'hardness as mg/l CaCO3' column is the same as ppm and the one in the 'German degrees' column is the same as dH.

I've tried that before, can't remember exactly what the results were but other folk started telling me how jealous they were of how soft my water was. Got told it was okay for soft water fish but to stay away from mollies, guppies, platies and swordtails.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back