Rasbora or danio?

Kat1053

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Iā€™m kind of new to fish keeping I currently have a male betta fish and a zebra snail in a 5 gallon tank and Iā€™m in the process of cycling a 10 gallon but I canā€™t decide wether to get galaxy rasboras or maybe zebra danios, the filter I have for the 10gal has a bit of a current and my waters PH is usually fairly close to 7 Iā€™ve tested it from the tap a couple times to see. I also plan on getting some Floating plants for the 10 gallon as well. If thereā€™s anyone with experience with both rasboras and danios would you mind saying pros and cons of either or your thoughts on the tank? I donā€™t know anyone I can ask for advice in person, thanks!! (Edit: added a few bushels of Java fern in the back right side of the tank so current photo doesnā€™t show all the plants)

Attachments

• 66827B6B-5D68-47D8-A5AE-8336E6DABC27.jpeg
    66827B6B-5D68-47D8-A5AE-8336E6DABC27.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Galaxy Rasboras are my pick. Put some pygmy cats in with them. I actually love clown killis in small systems, they breed easily and are very hardy.

Zebra danio's are very active and ideally need a tank with some width to swim. 10g would be too small for them unfortuntely.

The Galaxy or Chili Rasbora would be a better fit in your 10g. Just make sure you add a decent size school because they are pretty timid fish :)

Chilis are smaller than galaxy and not as timid, develop a lovely red colour too and are quite striking.
My Chilis come to the front of the tank at feeding time, the pygmy cory and honey gourami don't.

Chilis need soft water while galaxy rasboras (celestial pearl danios) can live in hard water. I would go with whichever matches your tap water hardness.

Chilis need soft water while galaxy rasboras (celestial pearl danios) can live in hard water. I would go with whichever matches your tap water hardness.
My tap water is usually pretty soft, do you think the current of the filter will bother them? Itā€™s kind of a strong flow which is why I was originally looking at zebra danios because apparently they like the current but Iā€™m not too sure, everyoneā€™s been suggesting rasboras over the danios though.

Zebra danio's are very active and ideally need a tank with some width to swim. 10g would be too small for them unfortuntely.

The Galaxy or Chili Rasbora would be a better fit in your 10g. Just make sure you add a decent size school because they are pretty timid fish :)
Thanks for the info! Iā€™ve never had schooling fish before since I just have the one betta, do schooling fish actively breed? If so do you have to do anything like remove them to another tank like I wouldnā€™t know what to do haha I donā€™t really want a ton of baby fish haha, should I just get females?

It is very difficult to get just females. There will be a tank full of juvenile fish at the store, and trying to single out fish of a particular sex is just about impossible even if they can be identified at that age. But it is unlikely you would have fry unless you deliberately did something to stop the fish eating the eggs. If you had a lot of hiding spaces, perhaps one or two might make it.

Zebra danios are very active fish. People who have kept them in large tanks say they can cross a 4 foot tank in under 1 second. This is why AquaBarb said a 10 gallon tank is too small for them. One of the best websites for fish care is Seriously Fish, and they comment that the minimum tank size for zebra danios is 3 feet long.

What filter do you have? There are ways to reduce the flow and we can suggest methods suitable for your filter.

In a heavily planted tank you can expect to get some fry surviving out of any spawn. My 60 liter tank with pygmy cats and clown killifish, the population grow with no problem, fish don't naturally want to eat their young, they only do it if they are hungry or the opportunity arises.

Most popular schoolers in the hobby like the ones youve mentioned are egg scatterers. Chances of the eggs surviving most times are slim. livebearers such as guppies etc are a different matter :)

It is very difficult to get just females. There will be a tank full of juvenile fish at the store, and trying to single out fish of a particular sex is just about impossible even if they can be identified at that age. But it is unlikely you would have fry unless you deliberately did something to stop the fish eating the eggs. If you had a lot of hiding spaces, perhaps one or two might make it.

Zebra danios are very active fish. People who have kept them in large tanks say they can cross a 4 foot tank in under 1 second. This is why AquaBarb said a 10 gallon tank is too small for them. One of the best websites for fish care is Seriously Fish, and they comment that the minimum tank size for zebra danios is 3 feet long.

What filter do you have? There are ways to reduce the flow and we can suggest methods suitable for your filter.
Okay good to know, Iā€™ll for sure stick with rasboras haha, the filter is one of those that hang of the side of the tank and make a little waterfall, I might be able to tie a bit of sponge around where the water comes out to buffer it a little.

Okay good to know, Iā€™ll for sure stick with rasboras haha, the filter is one of those that hang of the side of the tank and make a little waterfall, I might be able to tie a bit of sponge around where the water comes out to buffer it a little.
In a 10g, my suggestion would be a different filter, and a single sponge filter is all you need. Especially if you have live plants, and these can just be floating plants if you like. Fish suited to a 10g will in most every case not want or do well with battling a current. Rasboras for example, every species I can think of, are quiet water fish.

Chilis are smaller than galaxy and not as timid, develop a lovely red colour too and are quite striking.
My Chilis come to the front of the tank at feeding time, the pygmy cory and honey gourami don't.
How many chilis would you recommend for my tank? I wouldnā€™t mind having maybe some cherry shrimp a little down the road or maybe another nerite snail (I have one in my beta tank) Iā€™m open to suggestions for different combos :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back