Rasbora Eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BioTech

Reaction score
Hey!

I have harlequin rasboras.
They lay many eggs under my leaves almost everyday for the last few months. Some of the eggs that weren’t attached to leaves are eaten by the parents.
I always left the eggs alone, letting nature do its thing. But, the eggs never hatch.
I have shrimps, a lot of unwanted MTS, and endlers live beaers. Are they eating my eggs?
How could I hatch these eggs?

Any fish will eat eggs if they find them. It seems logical snails would, though not likely all of them [I have hundreds of MLS in my tanks and a few eggs do hatch once in a while], shrimp I don't know.

If your aim is to hatch and raise the fry, a dedicated spawning tank would likely be best, including the removal of the parents post-spawning.

I have a 55 gallon planted tank with tetras, corys and snails which eat eggs. I had several dark places with Java Moss and Java Ferns. I had 5 red eye tetras (2 female/3male) In 3 months they had several fry. I ended up with 17 red eye tetras in my tank. o_O I gave them to my bother-in-law but still found another one in my tank two weeks later.

I forgot the link earlier, there is a description here of spawning procedure.

As RV said, if the eggs get in places where the fish don't see them, as can happen with heavily planted tanks, you can sometimes see fry in time.

The Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) attaches its eggs to the underside of leaves as you mentioned, interestingly different from most all small cyprinids which are egg scatters; the latter have slightly better chances of hatching because some of the eggs can fall down where they are not noticed. Eggs deposited on the underside of leaves are pretty obvious. My Nannostomus eques pencilfish also use the underside of leaves and only once has an egg managed to hatch.

Snails will eat any fish eggs they find and Malaysian Livebearing/ trumpet snails are no exception. You could have thousands of these things in your tank and they will eat any fish eggs overnight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back