Rare Fish's Rare Fish of the Day!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'be been working on some fishforums.wiki articles here, but while I work on those, thought I would make a thread educating others (and myself) about rare fish you've never heard of, or have but don't know very much about. Credits to Xenacanth9 for the idea. I will attempt to do this everyday for a while.

Day #1 (11/5/21)

Freshwater Frogfish
Antennarius biocellatus
Antennarius biocellatus (Cuvier, 1817)

Size: 7"
pH: 7.0-8.1
Tank size (in gallons): 40+
Country of origin: Indonesia, New Guinea, the Solomons, the Philippines and Taiwan (reported in Palau)
Diet: Live fish, but can be weaned onto fresh frozen food
Temperament: Generally peaceful to any fish too large to fit in their massive mouths
Nitrate: <30ppm
Salinity: 0-35ppt

Description

Antennarius biocellatus is the only known species of Freshwater Anglerfish that can survive in freshwater. However, they do live in brackish as well. These fish are best kept in species only tanks, as they are slow moving, and ambush hunters, so they will be out competed by faster-moving fish. They are normally wild-caught in pure freshwater areas. There have been no known captive breedings of this fish. They have a 'horn' to lure in unsuspecting curious fish. They camouflage well, as they will blend into different surroundings. They enjoy rocks. bare-bottom tanks are not recommended, as they will not have anything to blend in too. They are poisonous to eat.

Where you can find them
You can find them seasonally at Aqua-Imports

Recourses

I like this kind of content!
same!
I'be been working on some fishforums.wiki articles here, but while I work on those, thought I would make a thread educating others (and myself) about rare fish you've never heard of, or have but don't know very much about. Credits to Xenacanth9 for the idea. I will attempt to do this everyday for a while.

Day #1 (11/5/21)

Freshwater Frogfish
Antennarius biocellatus
View attachment 147168

Size: 7"
pH: 7.0-8.1
Tank size (in gallons): 40+
Country of origin: Indonesia, New Guinea, the Solomons, the Philippines and Taiwan (reported in Palau)
Diet: Live fish, but can be weaned onto fresh frozen food
Temperament: Generally peaceful to any fish too large to fit in their massive mouths
Salinity: 0-35ppt

Description

Antennarius biocellatus is the only known species of Freshwater Anglerfish that can survive in freshwater. However, they do live in brackish as well. These fish are best kept in species only tanks, as they are slow moving, and ambush hunters, so they will be out competed by faster-moving fish. They are normally wild-caught in pure freshwater areas. There have been no known captive breedings of this fish. They have a 'horn' to lure in unsuspecting curious fish. They camouflage well, as they will blend into different surroundings. They enjoy rocks. bare-bottom tanks are not recommended, as they will not have anything to blend in too. They are poisonous to eat.

Where you can find them
You can find them seasonally at Aqua-Imports

Recourses

well, too bad it will eat my guppies :(

Let’s pretend I posted this yesterday.

Day #2 11/6/21

Mokelembembe Bichir
Polypterus mokelembembe (also spelled mokèlé-mbèmbé)

Z.jpeg

Size: Rarely exceed 12”
pH: 7.0-7.8
Tank size (in gallons): 75+
Country of origin: Mid Congo River Basin (Republic of Congo, Democratic replubic of the Congo)
Diet: Will Except and live, frozen, and pellets
Temperament: Peaceful to any fish too large to fit in their mouth
Salinity: N/A

Description

Polypterus Mokelembembe is named after a mythical dinosaur called the Mokele-mbembe, which is believed to survive the dinosaur extinction. They are in the least concern status, however, there have been only one successful breeding (read about it here https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ing-report-of-polypterus-mokelembembe.725534/). All Polypterids have lungs. The left one is half the size of the right one, but the right one stretches 2/3 of the whole body. These fish have gular plates. Gular plates are only found in a few species of fish such as Polypterus, and bowfins. They inhabit black water creeks, but can adapt to almost any conditions. In the wild, these fish were misidentified as Polypterus Retropinis. The Retropinis was assigned to a different Bichir, and moke’s were given their name in 2006.

Where you can find them
You can find them at Aqua-imports often, and occasionally at Bluegrass Aquatics.

Recourses:

Let’s pretend I posted this yesterday.

Day #2 11/6/21

Mokelembembe Bichir
Polypterus mokelembembe (also spelled mokèlé-mbèmbé)

View attachment 147288

Size: Rarely exceed 12”
pH: 7.0-7.8
Tank size (in gallons): 75+
Country of origin: Mid Congo River Basin (Republic of Congo, Democratic replubic of the Congo)
Diet: Will Except and live, frozen, and pellets
Temperament: Peaceful to any fish too large to fit in their mouth

Description

Polypterus Mokelembembe is named after a mythical dinosaur called the Mokele-mbembe, which is believed to survive the dinosaur extinction. They are in the least concern status, however, there have been only one successful breeding (read about it here https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ing-report-of-polypterus-mokelembembe.725534/). All Polypterids have lungs. The left one is half the size of the right one, but the right one stretches 2/3 of the whole body. These fish have gular plates. Gular plates are only found in a few species of fish such as Polypterus, and bowfins. They inhabit black water creeks, but can adapt to almost any conditions. In the wild, these fish were misidentified as Polypterus Retropinis. The Retropinis was assigned to a different Bichir, and moke’s were given their name in 2006.

Where you can find them
You can find them at Aqua-imports often, and occasionally at Bluegrass Aquatics.

Recourses:

I hope to be getting some of these guys soon.

Adding 3 new category. Its gonna be ’affect on humans’, meaning if the fish is toxic, venomous, or other. Are they caught for human consumption. And the status of the species.

Day #3 11/7/21

Crazy Fish/Duckbill Sleeper
butis butis

Z.jpeg

Size: rarely exceed 5”
pH: 7.2-8.3
Tank size (in gallons): 20g+
Country of origin: Widespread. East Coast of Africa to Eastern Fiji. Includes Seychelles and Mauritius, Indonesia, Brunei Darrusalam, Australia, China, and islands of Fiji. Spread along coastlines of
Indo-Pacific, and Indian Ocean.
Diet: will accept frozen Food. In the wild, they prey on crustaceans, small fish, and worms.
Temperament: Territorial. Will eat anything that fits in mouth
Salinity: Will accept practically anything. Nothing above 1.025
Fished for: Occasionally fished for human consumption

Description:

Butis butis is a species of Goby. These fish are known for their behavior of swimming vertically and upside down while hunting! They are blandly colored when not hunting, but when hunting, they have the ability to change colors (to an extent) to blend into their surroundings. They are most active at twilight. They look similar to Wolffish. They’re head is flattened. In the wild, they are found in muddy brackish estuaries with fluctuating salinity, and are also found in freshwater streams. They prefer lots of vegetation. They are quite active fish.

Where to find them:

Bluegrass and Aqua-imports has them occasionally. Aquabid also has them occasionally.

Recourses:

Boulenger’s Spiny Eel/Starlight Eel
Mastacembelus alboguttatus

Starlight-Eel.jpg

Size: rarely exceed 18”
pH: 7.0-8.0
Tank size (in gallons): 120g
Country of origin: Widespread throughout Myanmar, and a little bit into India and Thailand
Diet: Insects, fish, crustaceans, but can be weaned onto frozen overtime.
Temperament: Should not be put in a tank with fish small enough to fit in mouth.
Fished for: Yes
Status: Least Concern, but could be threatened from habitat loss
Harmful to humans: Yes

Description:

The Starlight Eel is a species of Mastacembelus that are endemic to wild Myanmar. They inhabit large rivers. The locals will catch and eat. Uncommon in the aquarium trade. There have been no successful breedings. They were described in 1893. They are facing habitat loss due to dam building, overfishing, and deforestation. Not that much is known about them. Not a lot is known about them.

Where to find them:

as always, Aqua-imports has them.

Recourses:

Adding 3 new category. Its gonna be ’affect on humans’, meaning if the fish is toxic, venomous, or other. Are they caught for human consumption. And the status of the species.

Day #3 11/7/21

Crazy Fish/Duckbill Sleeper
butis butis

View attachment 147311

Size: rarely exceed 5”
pH: 7.2-8.3
Tank size (in gallons): 20g+
Country of origin: Widespread. East Coast of Africa to Eastern Fiji. Includes Seychelles and Mauritius, Indonesia, Brunei Darrusalam, Australia, China, and islands of Fiji. Spread along coastlines of
Indo-Pacific, and Indian Ocean.
Diet: will accept frozen Food. In the wild, they prey on crustaceans, small fish, and worms.
Temperament: Territorial. Will eat anything that fits in mouth
Salinity: Will accept practically anything. Nothing above 1.025
Fished for: Occasionally fished for human consumption

Description:

Butis butis is a species of Goby. These fish are known for their behavior of swimming vertically and upside down while hunting! They are blandly colored when not hunting, but when hunting, they have the ability to change colors (to an extent) to blend into their surroundings. They are most active at twilight. They look similar to Wolffish. They’re head is flattened. In the wild, they are found in muddy brackish estuaries with fluctuating salinity, and are also found in freshwater streams. They prefer lots of vegetation. They are quite active fish.

Where to find them:

Bluegrass and Aqua-imports has them occasionally. Aquabid also has them occasionally.

Recourses:

These are cool! Kinda want one. Aqua Imports has them in stock too! :)

This fish is my family, I have got some very similar to last year, called Machrognatus siamensis, bought as baby and breeded in captivity (this fact is rather the exception), totally sensitive and intelligent, as for the ideas I will try my best (keep this thread up please, it's excellently done)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back