Rare "Blue Loach"?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Pufferpack

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have just reserved 2 new Loaches from the lfs that were identified as "Rare Blue Loaches". I will be picking them up later this week (they are recovering from a case of Ich and the owner didn't want to sell them until he was sure they were fully recovered, I really like this store). I have been searching for

....I have been searching for a species profile and can't find anything that matches.

Description: approx 5 in. in length, diameter of a pencil, Blue/Grey in color, no markings that I could see. They look similar to Dragon gobies. I believe they are of the Pangio family as they are built like the Khulis. They are supposed to be easy to keep and prefer a netral Ph.

Any guesses?

Don

...I'll post pics once I pick them up. I was hoping to do a little research on them before I get them in case there are potential problems with tank mates.
I have a tank with no other inhabitants so I'm not too worried. :D

Don You dont reckon that a few clowns got in some really cold water and turned blue from it do you........LMAO.....Someone had to be the smarty pants here......lol

All seriousness, sounds like some great fish, and I for one cant wait to see the pics.

Les

Ive never heard of a blue khuli species either but i know one thing,theyre not catfish :hyper: just goes to prove my point that we need another forum for loaches barbs sharks and tetras :)

It's a Pangio Muraeniformis.

Very nice and quite rare!! They have a Blue thick line runing down the whole body but not on the fins.

Graeme. ;)

Well Les, if the were blue from the cold wouldn't that make them Coolies? :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Thanks Graeme :D
Pangio Muraeniformis....found them on Loaches OnlineIndeed may be them, they were looking pretty stressed in the lfs (they were in a bare tank with some baby Bumblebee gobies) I'm going to arrange the tank to accomodate the Muraeniformis and then get some pics once they settle in. I will be picking them up on Monday, so expect to be flooded with pics by Tuesday. :D :p :D

Hey Puffer...

You being Canadian, can you suggest possibly where I can find fish to buy? We have some of the usual super big shops here, and some smaller shops, but I've had problems with some of them, and I can't always find certain fish I'd like. What's ordering online like? Any suggestions are good - thanks!

I haven't had any experience with Online ordering and I think we are very fortunate here in Calgary in that we have a lot of stores to choose from. Piscies Pet Emporium is one of the best in town for variety, and their tanks are maintained beautifully Piscies Homepage. Big Al's is good for equipment, but I won't buy fish from them due to the state of their tanks (always sick or dead fish in most of their tanks). There are 4 excellent shops that specialize in one or two species like Cichlids/Catfish etc. and 2 new Fish stores have opened within the last 2 months, I am watching them and will reserve judgement for a few months to see how they do (I do buy supplies from them as they have 25% off grand opening sales now). :D With the variety of just Fish shops available we don't have to rely on places like Walmart or Petsmart (Piscies is the only "Pet" store we will buy fish from, all the rest are "Fish" stores) :p
If you are planning on comming to Calgary this summer drop me a note and we'd be happy to take you around to the shops in town.

Well I went back and looked at my new fish on Monday...I was way off the mark (I guess I looked through so many profiles at Loaches Online that I got confused :blink: ) They are labled as "Rare Blue Loach Cats". :huh:
They are still in the shop in quarintine and I'm still trying to ID them...I will try to get the latin name today an see what I can find.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back