Raphael Catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barracuda518

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I got these fish about 10 months ago and just wanted to give an update.

Here is a picture when I first got them:

IMG_3069.jpg

Here is the original topic:

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/212579/New-Catfish/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/212579/New-Catfish/[/URL]

New pictures taken today:

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

They have trippled in size :D

their stomachs are BIG! :lol: i tend to try not to feed my two too much. they get bloated easily. lovely cats by the way :good:

Thanks for the comments :good:

nice fish :good:

how big will it get?

I had some in the past that were 6+" that I give away. Some reports say 10+".

These have grown quickly, about 2.5" in 10 months, but I have also heard they are slow growers. The ones I had that were over 6" got that big in about 2 years. The ones I have now are probably a little over 3".

their stomachs are BIG! :lol: i tend to try not to feed my two too much. they get bloated easily. lovely cats by the way :good:

Yeah, their stomachs are like that right after feeding. They swallow the pellot whole :S

I also have to watch how I feed them. They only get fed maybe once a week. Its quite a challenge trying to get food to the cories and holding the Raphael Cats back :lol:

I also have a Spotted Raphael Cat in that tank too thats bigger then they are, but I never see it.

i took my cats out into a separate tank from my cories for that very reason :lol:

iv been looking into getting one of these guys, they are very cool looking, yours look great! :good:

What can you keep these with please?

Im just setting up a new tank and these appealled to me because my grandson is called Raphael and I think he would like them. It worries me that they will grow big though. My tank is 96 litres and I was planning making it a community tank, but I can imagine these eating some of the smaller fish.

Thanks for the comments everyone :good:

Im just setting up a new tank and these appealled to me because my grandson is called Raphael and I think he would like them. It worries me that they will grow big though. My tank is 96 litres and I was planning making it a community tank, but I can imagine these eating some of the smaller fish.

They need to be with fish they can not fit into their mouths, because they will eat them. I have to move mine to their own tank soon because of that.

Im not sure how many US gallons 96 litres is, but they will need a good size tank and lots of hiding places as they grow. They really arent the ideal catfish for a community tank with smaller species of fish.

Hehe, looks just like mine, Pierre. He was given to me about 6 months ago, so I never saw him as a little one, but he's grown a bit too. Love that fish, even though he barely moves :p. Great pictures!

Laura

Thanks for the comments everyone :good:

They need to be with fish they can not fit into their mouths, because they will eat them. I have to move mine to their own tank soon because of that.

Im not sure how many US gallons 96 litres is, but they will need a good size tank and lots of hiding places as they grow. They really arent the ideal catfish for a community tank with smaller species of fish.

Im not sure how many gallons it is, but there is 5.5 litres to a gallon so I guess its about 20 gallons. Its 32 inch long anyway. Maybe there is another smaller catfish that doesnt eat smaller fish.

Look how broad they are now :lol:
Obviously doing your job well so keep it up :D

Its not hard to keep them seeing as how they will eat anything. I think they have grown even more in the last week. I didnt even get any pictures of the biggest one, it likes to hide more. The spotted one is the biggest of them all, but I never see it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back