Raphael catfish with huge belly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishNewbie82912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve had this Raphael catfish for 2 months. He has this huge jelly belly. Itā€™s been a couple weeks with it. Is this normal for them? I rarely see this fish because itā€™s always hiding. The other one isnā€™t as puffed up looking as this one. Any ideas? Normal water parameters. Eats left over cichlid flakes and pellets. Thanks!

Attachments

• EE6DFA80-E4EC-499F-A41B-96FB1767440E.jpeg
    EE6DFA80-E4EC-499F-A41B-96FB1767440E.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 99
Iā€™ve had this Raphael catfish for 2 months. He has this huge jelly belly. Itā€™s been a couple weeks with it. Is this normal for them? I rarely see this fish because itā€™s always hiding. The other one isnā€™t as puffed up looking as this one. Any ideas? Normal water parameters. Eats left over cichlid flakes and pellets. Thanks!
i looked it up because I like catfish and havenā€™t heard of this kind. Is it a Rafael striped one? It said they eat everything & can get fat. Hereā€˜s a pic I saw. Sounds like one of my goldfish.

Attachments

• C0D28EDD-60F3-4B4B-806C-989280935349.jpeg
    C0D28EDD-60F3-4B4B-806C-989280935349.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 147
i looked it up because I like catfish and havenā€™t heard of this kind. Is it a Rafael striped one? It said they eat everything & can get fat. Hereā€˜s a pic I saw. Sounds like one of my goldfish.
Yes he looks fat! I even took him out to push on his belly. It was like gelatin in there.

I had a pair of these back in the UK before I moved over to Aus. Both were almost round and had grown to around 4" in length, and were still growing when I gave them to a LFS when I moved. Both looked fit to burst, although 1 definitely larger than the other, but seemed happy & healthy.
On my wish list for my next tank.......

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back