Random Discussion

I found african dwarf frogs in the pet section of our Ace Hardware. They are selling two frogs in a ten inch by six inch seven inch tall "tank" with no filter, clown-puke gravel and a few little water plants. Only about 84 dollars! One of the ladies who is in charge of the pet section came up and was trying to be helpful.. "...and you only need to clean them every three months!" EEK. I just smiled and nodded...
Nooooo

I found african dwarf frogs in the pet section of our Ace Hardware. They are selling two frogs in a ten inch by six inch seven inch tall "tank" with no filter, clown-puke gravel and a few little water plants. Only about 84 dollars! One of the ladies who is in charge of the pet section came up and was trying to be helpful.. "...and you only need to clean them every three months!" EEK. I just smiled and nodded...
That's insane!
I never have seen an Ace selling live pets or animals for that matter...
And "clean them every 3 months"!? Wth... How would she feel if I put her in a small room and didn't clean it every 3 months.

Ace is a hardware store, not a pet store and they should keep it that way. No reason for them to be selling all those animals and giving advice that is just plain WRONG.
I'm not sure if most Ace Hardwares have pet stores. It's the only pet shop in Lander and Dad usually special-orders fish from them.
Wow... That's sad

Anyone in your family smoke a corn cob pipe and whittle on the front porch while shooting squirrels for dinner?

Hey Ma, get the cookin pot ready, I just done shot me a couple of them thar squirrels. We gonna eat well to

I wonder if they are selling those here, the lady who brought her child to see my rabbit wanted a lily pad for 2 dwarf frogs. Hmmmm anything that requires frequent maintenance isn't her thing, How I ended up buying her child's bunny 2 years ago.

Today is Sunday. We have just had some post delivered by Royal Mail. It's Sunday. 😲
I had three deliveries yesterday.....

Royal Mail
DPD
AO

Royal Mail have been doing deliveries on Sundays here since 2020 during the pandemic. Initially it was just parcels but now its letters and parcels.

Usually it is the only time a postie ever gets to where I am....despite being 20 minutes walk from the sorting office, posties during the week are as rare as rocking horse poo

Various fish like bettas, platys, plecos, guppies ect. They also usually have mice, tarantulas, a variety of small reptiles and snakes, sometimes a few turtles, a few exotic frogs, and occasionally rats, cockatiels and parakeets. Right now they just have fish, a few lizards, and the frogs.
Well you know what to do then don't you

Find out where the local Federal offices are (town or city hall), contact their department of trading standards (or US equivalent) and their animal control department and report them for keeping animals in inhumane conditions. They have to be licenced to sell livestock of any kind. Sadly inspections are few and far between so licences are rarely revoked....but if you report them, an inspection without appointment will be made, they will either get a 30 day notice to clean up their act and then monitoring every month for the next 5 years or they will be shut down there and then if enough bylaws have been broken.

These shops take it for granted that no-one will ever report them.....so they get away with murder (literally in some cases)

If you do not want the shop to continue looking after animals badly, report them to the authorities....they are licenced to sell and to keep that licence there are rules that must be followed or else.

It is the ONLY way that things will change...report them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back