Random Discussion

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

302825571_5466625900099031_9109522206667782446_n.png

I've been researching my ancestry on Ancestry.com. I just found two ancestors on my mother's side who lived on Guernsey, Channel Islands, a married couple who had the same last name...before they got married. 😱
Anyone in your family smoke a corn cob pipe and whittle on the front porch while shooting squirrels for dinner?

Hey Ma, get the cookin pot ready, I just done shot me a couple of them thar squirrels. We gonna eat well tonight

I've been researching my ancestry on Ancestry.com. I just found two ancestors on my mother's side who lived on Guernsey, Channel Islands, a married couple who had the same last name...before they got married. 😱
So did my great great grandparents. And to make things worse, every generation on both sides used the same forenames so it reached the stage where I have to add the year of birth to their names when talking to people on Ancestry so we know which William or Henry or John we are talking about.

Anyone in your family smoke a corn cob pipe and whittle on the front porch while shooting squirrels for dinner?

Hey Ma, get the cookin pot ready, I just done shot me a couple of them thar squirrels. We gonna eat well tonight
mmmmmm squirrels! 😋

Today is Sunday. We have just had some post delivered by Royal Mail. It's Sunday. 😲

Today is Sunday. We have just had some post delivered by Royal Mail. It's Sunday. 😲
Every now and then mail services catch up on Sunday OR if the person payed for it to be delivered quicker.

I have never ever seen a Royal Mail van making deliveries on a Sunday. Amazon, yes, their van is round every week. But Royal Mail usually deliver Monday to Friday, and perhaps Saturday if you're lucky. Years ago, Royal Mail had two delivery rounds but it's a long time since they cut back to just one.
I don't know how things work in the US, but here in the UK we have Royal Mail which delivers letters and small parcels. They drive to your street, park up then walk up and down the street with a bag over their shoulder posting things through the letterbox in front doors. Then there are a number of other couriers who only deliver parcels. Amazon, DPD, Yodel, Evri etc etc. They drive to each house to make a delivery. The main difference is that almost every house gets something delivered by Royal Mail every day, be it a letter, a bill or a birthday card (or junk mail) but the couriers deliver only to one or two houses per day in a street.

All we had delivered was the bill for the boiler service a couple of days ago.

May be that sense we're starting to leave the pandemic phase, the mail services will he having overtime work hours to try and really catch up

They caught up after Covid quite a few months ago and never did Sunday deliveries even during catch-up. I did wonder if it was due to the Queen's funeral tomorrow (swapping deliveries from Monday to Sunday) but it appears that Royal Mail are giving their staff the day off tomorrow and no mention of Sunday deliveries.

It'll have to remain a mystery :)

I found african dwarf frogs in the pet section of our Ace Hardware. They are selling two frogs in a ten inch by six inch seven inch tall "tank" with no filter, clown-puke gravel and a few little water plants. Only about 84 dollars! One of the ladies who is in charge of the pet section came up and was trying to be helpful.. "...and you only need to clean them every three months!" EEK. I just smiled and nodded...

Most reactions

Back