Random Discussion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If the fish got spiked it would hurt but the footage from the BBC documentary (Life of Plants?) showed little fish swimming among the spikes.
Hmmmmm... Interesting... My tank is probably too small for this plant though

yes most tanks are too small for the plant, the leaves can get to over 1 meter in diameter.

yes most tanks are too small for the plant, the leaves can get to over 1 meter in diameter.
1642622176751.png

I'm home with covid currently, as I said elsewhere. I'm pretty worn out, but not flat on my back, so I'm trying to get some little things done. Today I'm taking some time to process some bison leg tendons into sinew, which I will use to back bows, attach arrow feathers, and a few other things. I love learning new skills, and this is a new one for me. I got some discarded legs from our local bison ranch last fall, and cut the tendons out of them. After drying them out, they look like this:
IMG_20220127_131249.jpg

After a whoooooole bunch of pounding with a hammer, pulling, separating, and cleaning, it comes apart into individual fibers like this:
IMG_20220127_131309.jpg

A little more separating and sorting, and this pile will be ready to back a bow. Sinew has some really weird properties. It is super strong for its weight, for one thing. It is also super stretchy when it's wet, but it shrinks, hardens, and turns clear when it dries. So, you can hold a few pieces of this stuff in your mouth, taking them out as you need them to wrap feather onto an arrow or sew two pieces of leather together. As the strands dry, they shrink and form a really tight bond. The bits also seem to stick to one another as they dry, so they form sort of a matrix, like natural fiberglass, and the strings don't have to be tied. They just stick together. Interesting stuff!

I'm home with covid currently, as I said elsewhere. I'm pretty worn out, but not flat on my back, so I'm trying to get some little things done. Today I'm taking some time to process some bison leg tendons into sinew, which I will use to back bows, attach arrow feathers, and a few other things. I love learning new skills, and this is a new one for me. I got some discarded legs from our local bison ranch last fall, and cut the tendons out of them. After drying them out, they look like this:
View attachment 153059

After a whoooooole bunch of pounding with a hammer, pulling, separating, and cleaning, it comes apart into individual fibers like this:
View attachment 153060

A little more separating and sorting, and this pile will be ready to back a bow. Sinew has some really weird properties. It is super strong for its weight, for one thing. It is also super stretchy when it's wet, but it shrinks, hardens, and turns clear when it dries. So, you can hold a few pieces of this stuff in your mouth, taking them out as you need them to wrap feather onto an arrow or sew two pieces of leather together. As the strands dry, they shrink and form a really tight bond. The bits also seem to stick to one another as they dry, so they form sort of a matrix, like natural fiberglass, and the strings don't have to be tied. They just stick together. Interesting stuff!
thats the coolest thing ive seen all week!

View attachment 153059

View attachment 153060

Wow😍😍😍 That is so cool.

View attachment 153059

View attachment 153060

Very cool!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back