1626875963202.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1626876085917.png
    1626876085917.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1626876169251.png
    1626876169251.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 28
The third one is a toy! (It might be a toy of a real moth though).
You're right, it is. I don't know why people don't do their research before posting an image of an art project thinking it's an actual animal. It's a needle-felted art piece of a bombyx mori, the common silk moth. Again, the real moth is only a few centimetres big.

-
@Unicornblast5000
Please remember that moths are NOT pets. They are living beings, not play-things. They, like any other animal, are a commitment and you must be prepared to properly look after any and all species you decide to rear.

Madagascan sunset moths are hard to come across and are a highly sought after species. Not to mention the fact that some moths are quite hard to care for. They aren't like fish where you can just set them up and go with whatever. Caterpillars are very picky, need specific temperatures and food plants to survive properly.

You cannot buy a singular caterpillar, and you cannot buy adult moths.
Online, you will find many sellers who sell basic species such as antherina suraka and some native species, but it is unlikely that you will find the moths you are looking for. You will only be able to buy them in groups, typically sold in groups of 10-25 eggs, or 5 pupae.

Pupae also require specific care - many UK native species must be kept in dry, cool conditions to imitate overwintering, whereas tropical species such as the Madagascan sunset moths must be thoroughly misted as pupae to ensure that they don't dry out and either die within the pupa or suffer as they emerge/eclose later in the year.

I cannot stress this enough: do your research thoroughly and don't treat them as a toy. I'm very tired of the online "moth community" claiming to love moths and then outright neglecting them because they can't keep up with their needs.

Saturnids in particular are hard work. As adult moths, they do not have functional mouth-parts and therefore do not eat or drink. As such, they gorge themselves as caterpillars, and will easily eat away a full branch of their food plant(s) in half a day. Their sole purpose as larvae is to eat, and they will eat a lot. Members of the saturniidae family (bombyx mori and luna moths) are more upkeep than species that will eat as adults.

You should totally do a build thread!
In captivity, moths are typically kept in vivariums, plastic tubs, zipped sleeves over a growing plant or a mesh enclosure. I personally don't think it'd be worth a full thread. You put some plant cuttings in the enclosure of your choice and keep it clean and fresh for a month or two and then that's it.

For younger larvae, I raise them in plastic tubs with a fine mesh over the lid. As they grow I move them to vivariums and then to mesh enclosures for later instars and when they are adults.

For tropical species, I keep them in my bathroom as it's the most humid room in the house (due to the heat of the shower). My native species stay in my bedroom (or are released depending on my plans).

-
@Unicornblast5000
Please remember that moths are NOT pets. They are living beings, not play-things. They, like any other animal, are a commitment and you must be prepared to properly look after any and all species you decide to rear.

Madagascan sunset moths are hard to come across and are a highly sought after species. Not to mention the fact that some moths are quite hard to care for. They aren't like fish where you can just set them up and go with whatever. Caterpillars are very picky, need specific temperatures and food plants to survive properly.

You cannot buy a singular caterpillar, and you cannot buy adult moths.
Online, you will find many sellers who sell basic species such as antherina suraka and some native species, but it is unlikely that you will find the moths you are looking for. You will only be able to buy them in groups, typically sold in groups of 10-25 eggs, or 5 pupae.

Pupae also require specific care - many UK native species must be kept in dry, cool conditions to imitate overwintering, whereas tropical species such as the Madagascan sunset moths must be thoroughly misted as pupae to ensure that they don't dry out and either die within the pupa or suffer as they emerge/eclose later in the year.

I cannot stress this enough: do your research thoroughly and don't treat them as a toy. I'm very tired of the online "moth community" claiming to love moths and then outright neglecting them because they can't keep up with their needs.

Saturnids in particular are hard work. As adult moths, they do not have functional mouth-parts and therefore do not eat or drink. As such, they gorge themselves as caterpillars, and will easily eat away a full branch of their food plant(s) in half a day. Their sole purpose as larvae is to eat, and they will eat a lot. Members of the saturniidae family (bombyx mori and luna moths) are more upkeep than species that will eat as adults.
ik :)

its gonna be a few years, there's not a lot of care on them. AND I slightly changed my mind. I might just get one praying mantis or one jumping spider or some milk snails, mostly bc there's more care on them and they live longer than a week.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-21 123409.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-21 123409.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 22

its gonna be a few years, there's not a lot of care on them. AND I slightly changed my mind. I might just get one praying mantis or one jumping spider or some milk snails, mostly bc there's more care on them and they live longer than a week.
... Some moths can live for over a year if you count overwintering as pupae. And some butterflies hibernate over winter.

I understand that finding an insect that isn't "scary" or whatever is probably thrilling but please don't trivialise their existence because you don't think they'd be an entertaining pet. A lack of online knowledge doesn't mean you can't research proper care for them.

Bart Coppens, as much as I dislike him, is a good source of info on caring for moths, if you'd like an idea of where to look for information on them.

The same goes for arachnids and mantids. Please just properly take into account the fact that insects are still living beings and shouldn't be given any less consideration when deciding whether or not to rear them than you would give to a fish or a rodent or any other animal.

AND I slightly changed my mind.
At the risk of being rude (which isn’t my intention), the number of pet/animal/fish/insect projects you discuss is making me dizzy. And underlines my belief that living things should only be brought into the home if an adult is going to take the ultimate responsibility for it. Children (my children are aged 22-34!) change their minds/interests so quickly….
and they live longer than a week.
Just about the same thought process as most lfs employees and fish!!

At the risk of being rude (which isn’t my intention), the number of pet/animal/fish/insect projects you discuss is making me dizzy. And underlines my belief that living things should only be brought into the home if an adult is going to take the ultimate responsibility for it. Children (my children are aged 22-34!) change their minds/interests so quickly….
All animals are a huge responsibility, even for adults. Your belief is completely understandable. Young people have a lot of things they do and don't always have the ability to care for all the pets they have, so it's best to have an adult who's willing to take responsibility if the person who owns the pet can't.

That's how I became a fishkeeper. My sons, then in their teens, won some goldfish at the fair and guess who ended up looking after them.
And, mentioned at some point earlier, George the rat, who used to come and sit with me in the evenings! 😂

My daughter is now doing all the animal care for the latest additions…guinea pigs.. that the grandchildren state, but there’s poo nanny and it’s gross…..🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

And, mentioned at some point earlier, George the rat, who used to come and sit with me in the evenings! 😂

My daughter is now doing all the animal care for the latest additions…guinea pigs.. that the grandchildren state, but there’s poo nanny and it’s gross…..🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
I'm sure George the rat is absolutely lovely!

Most reactions

trending

Back