Random Discussion

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The stuff we drink by the gallon in the UK, made from tea leaves grown in the Indian subcontinent. Not China tea or fruit tea or whatever, just the dark brown stuff.

I drink one mug of tea (with milk and sweetener) with breakfast, two mugs with lunch and one mug with dinner. Most people will also have a mug mid morning and mid afternoon, though I don't - if I want a drink between meals I drink water. Decades ago, it would have been a cup with a saucer rather than a mug.

I have to be in the mood for tea and then only Yorkshire tea will suffice... However, as a South African I'm obliged to say that Rooibos tea is lovely on occasion too.

I'm a coffee drinker but not with sugar, that's just nasty! But my tea needs at least 2 teaspoons of sugar otherwise it's undrinkable

We used to drink Yorkshire tea, but the price went up and up so now we drink Sainsbury red label tea. Loose leaf tea, not tea bags (excpet my husband who gets up before me uses a tea bag at breakfast time)

I have tried since I was a teenager to drink coffee but even the smell makes me feel queasy. My mother used to drink black coffee, and our elder son (currently living with as the flat purchase is taking forever) won't drink instant coffee, he uses a cafetiere.

I like to drink Chai French Vanilla hot tea with a little bit of honey, un-sweet ice tea, and coffee black no sugar. Most of the time I drink bottled water and on the occasion diet Dr. Pepper.

All my favourite drinks have been off limits over the last year and more since being pregnant and now breastfeeding, I miss coke sooooo much ? even my beloved coffee is decaff!

Did you know that back in the early 1980s, a small glass of red wine was recommended in late pregnancy as it was thought tthat something in it helped prevent premature labour?
I'm surprised I didn't turn orange, the amount of orange juice and pineapple juice, often mixed, that I drank when I was pregnant.

It doesn't suprise me, my mum was told to drink Guinness to supplement her iron.
Fresh orange was also a favourite of mine during pregnancy, even the smell of tea (especially herbal) and coffee and ?

Both pregnancies I craved curried chillies... With cheese :drool:

I'd forgotten - I had anti-cravings during my second pregnancy. I couldn't abide tea, and in the middle of winter I missed hot drinks, so I took to making blackcurrant cordial with hot water instead of cold. I also couldn't eat boiled eggs or smoked fish or cheese. Once the baby was born, I could drink tea and eat eggs again but I still can't eat smoked fish/cheese 40 years later.

When my mother had me and my sister in the 1950s, they were kept in hospital for 10 days and given a bottle of Mackeson stout every day - by the hospital.

The anti-cravings are the worst! I lost 9lb beginning of my second pregnancy, literally everything I could smell made me sick.. Bacon was THE WORST!!

Funny how things change, these days you're bashed for being an 'unfit mother' for having a half pint shandy or white wine and lemonade... Not that I'm fussed for alcohol really

I had 24 hour a day sickness for most of my second pregnancy, until 6 weeks after he was born. I know the cause.
With my first, I was prescribed iron tablets at 6 weeks. They made me feel sick; I proved it was the tablets by stopping them till I stopped feeling sick, then starting them again, and started feeling sick again. My mother worked as a doctor's receptionist and she told me it was quite common, even when not pregnant, for iron tablets to make people feel sick, and to ask them to change the brand. They had patients who suffered sickness and a different brand worked wonders. So I asked and he changed brands which stopped the nausea.
Second time, the same thing happened only this time they refused to change the brand. So I was stuck with the choice of risking severe anaemia or feeling sick all the time. I lost a fair bit of blood during the birth so I had to continue taking the iron tablets for 6 weeks. I was so relieved when I could finally stop taking them!
I have no idea why they changed the brand the first time but refused the second.

Oh jeepers, how did you function?? I can't think of anything worse if I'm honest, feeling constantly sick with kids to look after already... I did 11 weeks nausea and that was long enough

I just got used to it. I think I did have a bit of 'morning sickness' added in round the 8 to 10 week point as it was worse then. But feeling sick for 9 months (from 6 weeks to 6 weeks after the birth) was just something else to cope with.

Most reactions

trending

Back