Ranchu tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dane.w

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a fish tank that’s 15 gallons and wanted to know if that is enough space for 1 ranchu goldfish

I breed goldfish although Not during the Pandemic. Anyway, rule is 20 gallons for first fancy goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional one. So a 29G would be fine for 2 fancies. I hate to see a goldfish alone. They need a companion. Mine pile up and sleep together. Don’t buy a comet , Common, Shubunkin, or any single tail goldfish. They are pond fish and get up to 12” in length. I have 3 females in a 75 gallon and 2 males in a 45 gallon.

I breed goldfish although Not during the Pandemic. Anyway, rule is 20 gallons for first fancy goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional one. So a 29G would be fine for 2 fancies. I hate to see a goldfish alone. They need a companion. Mine pile up and sleep together. Don’t buy a comet , Common, Shubunkin, or any single tail goldfish. They are pond fish and get up to 12” in length. I have 3 females in a 75 gallon and 2 males in a 45 gallon.
I agree. Its a torture to huge fish to be keeping them in a small tank.

this is a little off topic but how do you sex goldfish?

I think you can! I have a ranchu too in my 15 gallon outside tank! It does fine! But they will probably need a much bigger tank later in the future! I have seen them fully grown and they can get MASSIVE! But for a year or two, they should be fine in your 15 gallon! Good luck! ;)

I think you can! I have a ranchu too in my 15 gallon outside tank! It does fine! But they will probably need a much bigger tank later in the future! I have seen them fully grown and they can get MASSIVE! But for a year or two, they should be fine in your 15 gallon! Good luck! ;)
I believe that they already should have a bigger tank as they can get stunted.

I believe that they already should have a bigger tank as they can get stunted.
I personally think as long as you keep up with massive water changes it'll be fine for a while. Fancies are already stunted anyways, and a lot of fish we keep in aquariums are stunted, we just don't realize it(of course I'm not saying keeping the fish in a small tank is good).

I personally think as long as you keep up with massive water changes it'll be fine for a while. Fancies are already stunted anyways, and a lot of fish we keep in aquariums are stunted, we just don't realize it(of course I'm not saying keeping the fish in a small tank is good).
If they're not stunted for long they can get re-stunted. Anyways they actually still grow and I think the goldie of the OP should be moved to a 30 gallon as soon as possible to avoid stunting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back