Ramshorn snails worth $?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

javajo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I couldn't believe when I read someplace in this forum that one LFS was willing to pay .25 for each quarter sized Ramshorn snail!

I've got a Ramshorn snail infestation in my tank and thought that was bad!

I used to think that they were pond snails but after looking at some pictures realized that they in fact are Ramshorns.

I've never allowed any to grow to the size of a quarter though - I usually pick them out.

Do these snails really have market value? If that's the case, I'll let the little buggers rum free and undisterbed!

I can't believe this!

These snails have been the bane of my fishkeeping efforts for close to two years now and they're actually selling these for 1.25?

Once you have (1) snail in your tank, you can feasibly have 100 in a couple of months. These snails (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) or hermaphroditic and can multiply very easily.

Perhaps I'll let a dozen or so grow and try and sell them to my LFS??!!

Hi javajo :)

If your snails are indeed ramshorns they do have a market value. :nod:

But, you must look for and find that market. Ask the owner or manager of your lfs if they will buy your snails. Often, chain stores are not permitted to do this, so your best bet would be to ask at the independently owned stores.

If you find one that would be willing to do this, ask about the difference between selling them and trading them for other fish or supplies. You will probably find that trading is a more advantageous arrangement for both of you.

Another thing to consider is that the snails are living creatures that must be fed and that produce waste that must be cleaned up. This is not a problem as long as it doesn't result in an overstocked tank. If you monitor your water parameters you will know if they are becoming a problem and will be able to take care of it before it causes trouble.

I trade my cory fry for other fish at my lfs and it is a very good thing. It helps offset the cost of keeping my fish, which can get quite expensive indeed. :D

some snails carry dieseases but i suppose if you breed them at home you can sell them as "diesease free feeder snails"

Actually...my puffs love ramshorns!! If you ever want to get rid of some and you live in the states I would pay for shipping. Let me know.

Tiff

Most reactions

Back