Ramshorn snail question.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

*pete*

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Are they suitable for a tropical planted set up with play sand substrate ?

Maybe. According to most sources, the ramshorn snail does not eat healthy plants, but more than one aquarist has mentioned that their ramshorns did (so they said). It might be better to avoid this snail.

There are three species that certainly do not eat healthy live plants. The pond snail and acute bladder snail, which look very much alike, and the Malaysian Livebearing Snail. The latter is perhaps the best addition to any ctropical fish tank, as they burrow throughout the substrate. I have had these three snails in my several planted tanks with no issues.

They do eat dead or dying plant leaves, but not healthy leaves.

Byron.

Byron is right as always :)
I have rabbit snails, trumpet snails, pond snails, nerite, ramshorns, spixi and assassin snails, I have 3 heavily planted tanks and the one with ramshorn and MTS snails is taking a battering... I've added in Assassins to lighten the load and the plant munching has decreased a bit.
My java fern and Anubis is the only thing they don't eat.
My mosses, vallisneria gigantea and spirals and Amazon sword are all looking quite destroyed, but I like the snails so I'm not complaining- I just grow new plants in other tanks and add them to this one....there's always going to be someone that's going to eat something in an aquarium :)

Maybe. According to most sources, the ramshorn snail does not eat healthy plants, but more than one aquarist has mentioned that their ramshorns did (so they said). It might be better to avoid this snail.

There are three species that certainly do not eat healthy live plants. The pond snail and acute bladder snail, which look very much alike, and the Malaysian Livebearing Snail. The latter is perhaps

Byron is right as always :)
I have rabbit snails, trumpet snails, pond snails, nerite, ramshorns, spixi and assassin snails, I have 3 heavily planted tanks and the one with ramshorn and MTS snails is taking a battering... I've added in Assassins to lighten the load and the plant munching has decreased a bit.
My java fern and Anubis is the only thing they don't eat.
My mosses, vallisneria gigantea and spirals and Amazon sword are all looking quite destroyed, but I like the snails so I'm not complaining- I just grow new plants in other tanks and add them to this one....there's always going to be someone that's going to eat something in an aquarium :)

Thank you for replying guys,

I have had them in the past in tanks with pea gravel substrate and don't recall any damage to plants. I was more concerned if they would be okay with play sand substrate.
I really want some so decided to go ahead and placed an order with a breeder for 10 red and 25 generic Ramshorn.
A bit pricey !!! ... they used to arrive for free on plants before chemicals were used in the trade.

Ive got play sand from Argos in my ramshorn tank and they are fine :)

You placed a pricey order? Where in GB are you? Most people are giving them away for the price of a postage... I have millions (well any that I can catch) that you can have if you're close to Manchester? I'm not comfortable with posting them long distances as the spice snails turn up at my house squashed!

Thats meant to be spixi snails

Too far to travel from Luton and my order has been posted.
Very nice of you to offer though nic1.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back