Rams with Angelfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sadness child

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A couple months ago I had to get rid of my angel fish because I had danios in the tank with it. so I then got a female bolivian ram, and a female gold ram. The only problem with this arrangement is that the gold ram is very active, and swims near the middle more than the bottom. I was going to get 1 or 2 angelfish, I have 14 black phantom tetras, 3 mollies (two are breeding), 4 cory cats, 6 hatchetfish, and 2 rams

DSC03826.JPGDSC03827.JPGDSC03828.JPG

What size is the tank - volume and dimensions? Angels need tall tanks but there must also be enough floor space for the rams and cories.
And how hard is your water? I ask this because you have fish that must have hard water (mollies) and soft water fish (the rest)

12" W, 37" L, 20" H 46 gal bowfront 8.0-9.0 PH no fish has seemed to be affected by the PH

The hardness, measured as GH (general hardness) is the number you/we need. The pH does suggest fairly hard water, but that is not always the case so you should track down the GH through your municipal water authority, check their website.

Another problem here is temperature. The common ram (blue, gold, whichever variety) must have warmth. A temperature of 80F (27 C) is minimum and a tad higher would not hurt the gold ram. The cories (depending somewhat on species) will not like this warmth, but the other named species should manage even though they do not need this and the higher temperature will wear them out faster (temperature drives a fish's metabolism).

Angelfish are not a good idea here. First, this is a shoaling species so it needs a group of at least five, unless you have a bonded pair. Except for a bonded pair, two three or four is never a good idea. Two femnales might decide to gety along, though in time they might not. But the tank space is not sufficient for a group. Angelfish attain six inches (15 cm) body length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches (20 cm) and need considerably more space. A pair will inevitably form and this can spell real trouble for the other angels and other fish as there is just not sufficient space.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back