Rams - Help Identifying And Breeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all

I hope you can help me understand which breed of ram I have

I hope to breed them and have set up a pair in a 40 litre tank alone though will get a group of 6 neon dither fish

I know for sure one is a female with pink belly and wet protected of space but it keeps bullying the other and that hides in corner

Have got plants and hiding spaces

Appreciate your help and any tips on how to breeds these

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 96
You have Rams- Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. Definate male and female. They look fairly young. Give them time to mature with plenty of water changes and decent food. Some recommend having multiple females (2-3) per male.  

I think they're German Blue Rams, if that's what you mean, and a very nice little pair of fish they are, too!

Thank you both for your comments.
Is it normal that the female attacks the male always?
He seems to hide behind the filter
Also any tips on how to get breeding? I have bog wood but no caves ?
Can easily pick a another female if that's recommended, what age do you think they are?

I'm no expert with Rams, I'm afraid, but I have picked up a few tips reading about them on here...I was looking into getting them myself.

I don't think it's ideal that the female attacks the male - that might make the breeding thing a little harder! She may calm down over time once she's accepted his being there all the time (a lot like female people! - hehe).

Don't think you need caves necessarily, they tend to prefer a flat rock or slate to spawn on, but if you've got room a cave can still provide some security. You'll need to condition with Tubifex and brine shrimp as well as their normal flake food. Don't get your hopes too high, new parents can be quite poor with their breeding behaviour - eating the eggs etc... And it could take quite a long time before they get the hang of it.

Age-wise, hard to tell, I'm afraid. They do get to breeding maturity quite quickly and sexual dimorphism is noticeable around 4 months(ish), so your guys look at least that old.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back