rams dying!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

veen

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
can anyone help me out here? i've bought 3 gold-colored rams (my lfs had them labeled as hi-fin rams) in the last few days and ALL of them have died within a day or 2 of getting them. perhaps i've got them with the wrong kinds of fish -- i'm fairly new to the fish thing. i've got some rummies and glow lite tetras, a male betta, a cute yellow & black spotted puffer and a pleco. all of them seem stress-free and have thrived in the past few months. i had a few neons at first that my old pictus cat sucked up so i had to get rid of the pictus (gave back to lfs) and got the glow lite tetras instead. anyone have any suggestions? i've about decided to give up on getting any more rams. :unsure: :wub:

What size tank are they in?

Rams are pretty delicate fish. They've been so over-bred in captivity that genetically, they're pretty weak right now :/ Add to that you've got the gold color morph AND the long finned kind and that's just more selective breeding that your fish have had to go through, making them weaker.

Rams need really clean water in order to thrive and they need to be able to stake out their territory.

parker313 said:
What size tank are they in?

Rams are pretty delicate fish. They've been so over-bred in captivity that genetically, they're pretty weak right now :/ Add to that you've got the gold color morph AND the long finned kind and that's just more selective breeding that your fish have had to go through, making them weaker.

Rams need really clean water in order to thrive and they need to be able to stake out their territory.
thanks for the info everyone. i had no idea of their breeding history. all i knew -- this might show off my relative newness to the fish world -- was that they were some sort of ciclid but were peaceful ones, not aggressive. the owner of my lfs said the fish i had already were ok to put with the rams. but now that i know they're delicate guys i will not be buying any more to replace the ones that died. too bad, because they were nice looking fish -- were gold but also had some rainbow-ish colors like light blue and oranges in the mix.

and sorry, but i do not know my water params or the exact size of the tank -- my husband might, he's the one who got me the tank. when i find out i will post and ask for more advice.

anyone have suggestions about what to replace the rams with? remember, i've got a pleco, a school of glowlight tetras, some rummy tetras, a bluish-red betta and a spotted-looking puffer.

rams2small.jpg

this is a pic of the first 2 rams that died. :no:

Unfortunately, more often than not when rams die its not your fault. They are almost impossible to keep alive in my expereience.

JeremyD said:
Unfortunately, more often than not when rams die its not your fault. They are almost impossible to keep alive in my expereience.
maybe in your experience but maybe its because you and others arnt keeping them in the right water condititons, i have a pair of bolivian rams and one gold blue ram that have been with me for over a year,and i just added another ram and its fine,you just hae to give them the water conditions they need.
JME
DD

Dwarf_Dude said:
JeremyD said:
maybe in your experience but maybe its because you and others arnt keeping them in the right water condititons, i have a pair of bolivian rams and one gold blue ram that have been with me for over a year,and i just added another ram and its fine,you just hae to give them the water conditions they need.
JME
DD
Please dont accuse when you have no idea ;)

Discus breed in my water, rams die in my water. Its not the water, its the fish.

Please do your research and you will see that rams are one of the most geneticly delicate fishes prone to death for no reason.

Calm down guys.

I find that if given optimal water condition FOR RAMS they live long and healthy.

Just because discus breed in water does not mean it is good for rams, they require diff type of parameters.

Not saying you dont have perfect water, just not perfect for rams.

Also, I applaud that you have water conditions that allow discus for breeding, accomplishment in it self. However, this is about rams.

JeremyD said:
oy! my filter pump just went out so am on the phone with marineland to get a new one. still don't know the exact size or water conditions, but am thinking the tank might be a 30gallon. haven't bought a test kit yet -- had to opt to pay for car insurance and registration first -- but will as soon as i can.

anyway, did not mean to cause a problem when i asked for ram advice. i have decided not to buy more rams for now until i can find out my water conditions are, etc. for now my other fish seem stress-free and are happily eating the flakes and shrimps i give them. hopefully the pump will come in soon so my water won't be so cloudy. :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back