Ram In My 30 Gal Community?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I want to stock my 20 gal, with another Ram, a few bottom feeders and some schooling fish, but I just moved and haven't had the time or money to invest in my hobby. I was thinking of shutting down my 20 gal for a few months and putting the only fish in the 20 gal (A female I think) German Blue Ram, in my 30 gal community tank.

20 Gal:
1 German Blue Ram
-Temp: 78-80
-pH: 7.8-8.0 (I know it's high, but that's the pH of my water)

I was hoping to be able to introduce my Ram to my 30 Gal community tank, but I think there may be some compatibility issues. Not as in the fish being territorial (But for all I know there may be), but temperature and pH requirements. (As it is, I can't change the pH easily but this Ram appears to have acclimated rather well) But I've been doing research and Ram's appear to like warmer water than some of my other fish.

30 Gal:
1 Female Pearl Gourami
3 Female Platys
1 Zebra Danio (I know I need at least 4 more, but I have had terrible luck with Danio's and he is my sole survivor of three separate groups of Danios) I don't plan on getting anymore, they just don't seem to do well with my tank.
6 Panda Cory's
1 Male Bristle Nose Pleco
-Temp: 76-78
-pH: 7.8-8.0

Depending on where I look, it appears that my Platy's and Danio aren't tolerant of the water temperatures that my Ram would prefer (The higher 70's to low 80's). One site recommends Platy's be kept at 77, while another site says they don;t mine it as high as 82. So I'm not sure.
It wouldn't be forever, just a few months until I get settled and get some money saved up.
So does anyone have any opinions on if my little Ram will do okay in my 30 Gal? I don't see any terrible immediate problems, other than she is shy and may not get as much food, but she can always eat some of the Cherry shrimp in the tank if she doesn't get enough other food I suppose.

I can't see much of a problem with it, as long as you make the fish feel at home. Few little obstacles for it to be in and around, bits of wood, plants (real or fake as long as the can be weighted down, plant pot/coconut shell. Just so it doesn't feel too anxious being on its own in a big open space. Shame you couldn't get a few more to keep it company. I'm in love with the 3 Bolivians I bought about 2 weeks ago, great personalities

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back