Raising fish to Release them?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shiverz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, first I'll go over the Why. Today I read some very disconcerting news, Apparently 22 species of native fish in Australia could be extinct within the next 20 years. This is due to ash from bushfires and other contributing factors. That being said some species have a 50/50 chance, yet even those odd's are very worrying.

I was concerned but unfortunately I don't live in Australia to contribute any form of aid or relief, not that one man could do much, but as long as one person helps there's still hope I guess. I then turned my attention to UK waters and noticed our native white cray fish are in danger because of Signal's that have been introduced to our waters. I then got to thinking, could fish keepers like ourselves help out with issues such as these?

Now I know that releasing fish that have been bred in captivity is frowned upon, and can even be detrimental to the fish' health. I was wondering, is there any way to raise fish in captivity to be released back into the wild? Maybe having a pond in the garden and keeping conditions as natural as possible? With that being said, is it against the law to release captive bred fish back into the wild if they're native?

I tried having a look but I kept running in to "catch and release" for fisherman as opposed to captive bred. I couldn't find any solid information, and truth be told I'm more focused on the health of the fish in question and the wild ones which would possibly have captive bred introduced into their waters.

Speaking of this, I just bred and released killifish fries about weeks ago.

Perhaps you can contact and work with any organization that is doing conservation of fish.
They can advise you better.

what i personally would do is hunt the invasive species instead.

It is recommended that they are killed when caught, however, there has been nothing to enforce killing signals. Catching signals has started to become a business for most, selling them as food to resturaunts across britain, because of this I think people are purposefully keeping the population around for their own profit. I know that some leave certain area's unfished to create a sort of "safe-haven" for them so that they can breed etc.

Luckily some waters are still clear of invasive species, yet hold the right climate to harbor white claws, so I thought it would be a good idea to introduce them there, but naturally, I won't just go out and do it without checking first.

Speaking of this, I just bred and released killifish fries about weeks ago.

How do you do this? do you raise them in natural Water? or rear them as normal then release? isn't there a chance of introducing diesease and such into the waters? I think my google-fu is lacking, as everytime I try to search for how to do this, I just come across "captive bred vs wild" pages, and the odd page of where people have introduced fish, but they never explain the steps in doing it in an ethical manner, or how to gain knowledge into whether it's permitted or not.

Perhaps you can contact and work with any organization that is doing conservation of fish.
They can advise you better.

I was looking into this matter today, my local conservation of fish are more focused on the fisheries in the area, trying to keep control of them as opposed to the area as a whole. My neighbouring county seem to be do everything in their power to sort the problem, yet they're more focused on destruction of signals as opposed to protecting white claws (you could argue it's the same thing, but the white claws they have, are being left and not moved).

I have contacted my local authority on the matter, now I am just awaiting a reply. I think this would be a good hobby to get into, it'll get me outside and turn my passion into something that can help the ecosystem.

In some areas its illegal to release any wild caught fish back into the wild because of risk of introducing captive disease back into the ecosystem.

So check laws for sure

It's illegal to release captive fish back into the wild here in Wyoming. One would have to build a licensed hatchery. Contact your local conservation officer/game warden/fisheries biologist. Maybe start with the Marine Management Organization?

How do you do this? do you raise them in natural Water? or rear them as normal then release? isn't there a chance of introducing diesease and such into the waters? I think my google-fu is lacking, as everytime I try to search for how to do this, I just come across "captive bred vs wild" pages, and the odd page of where people have introduced fish, but they never explain the steps in doing it in an ethical manner, or how to gain knowledge into whether it's permitted or not.
Because we have no law for this.

And no, they are in a polluted river with toilet, poops and oil in the water, I dont think it will introduced new disease anytime soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back