Raising awareness

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Animallover😍

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Many threads on this forum state about bettas and other fish being mistreated and people who keep bettas and other fish just listen to the
pet shop about tiny tanks, not cycling, and other problems. The thing is, mostly the members on this forum are telling only the people they know that keep bettas in small aquariums. I think it would be better to raise awareness about how these fish live their lives miserably(and how to care for them properly) in small tanks using a social media platform as Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, etc. Another way would be to make pamphlets about how to properly care for fish/about cycling and distribute these to your local LPS(if they are willing-which they probably won't but worth a shot). Most of the threads here are people complaining about how sad these fish are in tiny tanks and the like. But I have not seen any about actually trying to help the situation. So list your ideas here and try them out, maybe
more fish around the world will be happier.

I would like to see Betta, Blood Parrot and CAE banned from sale completely

But then since they seem to be a staple money maker for the shops and breeders, that ain't going to happen any time soon.

Oh and ban the production of all "Glo" types too...

Mother nature provides us with naturally stunning fish, there should be no place for any injected or genetically modified fish ever
I agree too. I think that modifying fish is a bad practice and fish are beautiful when non-modified, they are lovely just as they are.

Shouldn't the right info simply be given by the LFS in the first place. In The Netherlands we have an organisation that provides basic caretips for a lot of animals (dogs, cats, fish, etc....) but to be honest it doesn't make a difference at all.

In 2016 I visited a worldfamous LFS in the UK.
Marvelous fish, but they kept and sold bettas in tiny "chinese lamps" cups. A real shame.

Selective ignorance

"Most" people realise that a Betta in a puddle is a myth but that will not stop them forcing a Betta to live in a puddle

Catch 22....get told something many many many times, believe it, do it, realise its wrong but carry on doing it anyway

Selective ignorance

"Most" people realise that a Betta in a puddle is a myth but that will not stop them forcing a Betta to live in a puddle

Catch 22....get told something many many many times, believe it, do it, realise its wrong but carry on doing it anyway
Definition of insanity?

Definition of insanity?
'Insanity' is usually defined, (by society), as any thought or behaviour differing substantially from societal norms.

Previously, keeping Bettas in tiny tanks and bowls was considered normal and sensible and anyone who protested would've been considered 'odd', at best. Likewise for goldfish in goldfish bowls...obviously they're fine in a goldfish bowl...that's why they're called goldfish bowls.
Fortunately, we now know different and the norm is slowly, but surely, moving to where the great majority see past Betta captivity* as abhorrent.

*I won't stoop to calling it 'care'. ;)

I am steaming..

Whilst doing my chores the TV was on in the background.

Animal Cops Phoenix

A tiny stray kitten was adopted by a family who already had several cats and dogs. They also had two fish.

Two male Betta

The kitten was watching them intently...the kitten was actually taller than the unfiltered, bare fishbowls that these two male Betta were living in.

Each fish had a fishbowl of around a gallon if not less, no substrate, no plants, no hiding places, no filter.....but they both had a lace thing held onto the top with an elastic band.

Now in the UK when adopting animals from a shelter, the prospective home is checked for suitability and existing animals are checked for health and welfare. It is a legal requirement to be home checked.

Apparently an animal shelter and anti-cruelty charitable organisation like the one in Phoenix doesn't check the homes or animals already in a potential adoptors home...two of the existing cats had hair loss too

I was using VERY unladylike language at the TV at the sight of these two Betta and two of their cats being in such bad living conditions and yet the family were given another cat to adopt.

Is it any wonder people get the wrong message about Betta and other fish when an apparent authority in animal cruelty condones bad treatment...and allows a film crew to be there to see and to record it for TV?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

@wasmewasntit

Home checks are required here too now at most agencies, but again fish do not count in any welfare agencies so they cannot really take that into account - not that they want to but still. And missing hair on animals doesn't necessarily mean poor care. My cat lost tons of hair and I spent tons trying to figure out why. Yes he looked terrible but I was trying.

I think in general people are just much less caring about fish. So many times I've been speaking to people and mentioned fish and the answer you get is always something like "It's just a fish.....flush it and get more"

Well no. Its not just a fish. It's a living thing and needs to be cared for properly as does any pet

It boils my head when people say things like that to me :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
So many people think a goldfish isn't a commitment because "everybody knows" they don't live long or get very big. I wonder why they don't live long....
Recently a documentary was on tv about imported goldfish from Israel. They calculated millions were imported per year. The Netherlands has 17.000.000 inhabitants which don't all have a goldfish. So mainly replacements of fish that didn't reach the 25 years or more they can get.
Devestating.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back