What's new

Raising awareness

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
I'd like to see an end to world hunger/starvation, an end to wars, and an end to CANCER!

Sad but true, fish get little/no respect and protesting here or on Facebook is not likely going to make a difference.

I just don't know what the answer is to such a longstanding issue/problem.
Agree. Just watching National Geographic.
Hundreds and hundreds of Sharkfins smuggled. Starting day by day to be more ashamed to be a human.

I'd like to see an end to world hunger/starvation, an end to wars, and an end to CANCER!

Sad but true, fish get little/no respect and protesting here or on Facebook is not likely going to make a difference.

Agree. Just watching National Geographic.
Hundreds and hundreds of Sharkfins smuggled. Starting day by day to be more ashamed to be a human.

...And on seeing some of our younger members, (who I'll assume will have a wide circle of younger friends and acquaintances), try and do something positive, that was the best response you could contribute?
I appreciate that it's so easy to get old and cynical, but from small acorns... ;)

I tried to keep a few Bettas in a 10 gallon. Not at the same time. One made it a year before he died. No luck with them. My other fish do just fine. I only like crowntail males but I think Bettas are often just frail/weak. You can do everything right and they still die. With that said - tank size isn't always a major deal. They are small fish and frankly don't need a 10 gallon tank. The hobby is going crazy with these tank sizes sometimes I think.

People push that people need huge ponds or huge tanks for standard goldfish when they come here asking about care. Standard goldfish cost 25 cents, who is going to buy huge tanks or build huge ponds for 25 cent fish? You have to try and balance REALISM and decent care in my opinion.

Put the fish in the size tank you can afford and keep his water clean and it's better than the fate he is likely to suffer otherwise which is dying of disease at the Petco or in a 4 year olds bowl, or being fed to an Oscar or Flowerhorn.

Fully agree with this. There are so many more important and larger problems in the world that pet fish care is never going to be priority for most people or places. We do what we can and try and do the best we can for our fish but that's really all we can do.

Many threads on this forum state about bettas and other fish being mistreated and people who keep bettas and other fish just listen to the
pet shop about tiny tanks, not cycling, and other problems. The thing is, mostly the members on this forum are telling only the people they know that keep bettas in small aquariums. I think it would be better to raise awareness about how these fish live their lives miserably(and how to care for them properly) in small tanks using a social media platform as Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, etc. Another way would be to make pamphlets about how to properly care for fish/about cycling and distribute these to your local LPS(if they are willing-which they probably won't but worth a shot). Most of the threads here are people complaining about how sad these fish are in tiny tanks and the like. But I have not seen any about actually trying to help the situation. So list your ideas here and try them out, maybe
more fish around the world will be happier.
Here is a thread from a like minded member:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back