Raised Scale/scale Protrusion

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MadCatter

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It appears as though my female betta has Raised Scale. All of my other fish look and act perfectly fine, so I believe she may have been developing this from the start (about 4 days ago when I got her, as she has refused to eat, and has been very shy since I got her). I moved her to a vase, with 100% water change. I don't have any antibiotics for her, but I am trying some aquarium salt with frequent water changes. She looks slightly discolored (not the shiny whitish/blue she was before, but I assume that's because I can see under her scales, and that they are damaged. She can swim just fine, and her breathing is also normal.

I also did a water change (I noticed that some food on the bottom had started to grow something on it... could also be the culprit), cleaned the filter with hot water, and added some salt to avoid any other problems in the main tank.

Does anybody else have any advice for what I should do? Am I doing the right thing with salt?

I hope she gets better soon! She's already so much more active in the vase with new water - exploring every little corner (a much better sign than before). It actually freaks me out to think about how she looks. It's so unnatural, and though I know it wont do anything to me, it just makes my skin crawl.

Thanks for all the help!

Dropsy all there is left ot do it epson salt baths bless him.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing against objects.

Dropsy all there is left ot do it epson salt baths bless him.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing against objects.

Aside from the visual sign of raised scales, nothing in her behavior indicates that she is sick with anything. She is swimming around normally (no flicking/rubbing/twitching/erratic of any sort). The main part of her body might by swollen... but it still looks to me like any other female betta should. It doesn't look anything like the photos of dropsy on google.

She's actually coming up to greet me in the vase; something she wouldn't do in the 10 gallon.

Ugh. If there is nothing I can do to fix the problem once her scales raise, what is there to do with her? Euthanization?

I feel like swearing now. She's the prettiest white female I've ever seen.. I haven't had her for a week, and now she's doomed?

It's worth a try to do an epson salt bath, if no epson salt household salt should be fine.
Just follow that link to salt, good luck.

It's worth a try to do an epson salt bath, if no epson salt household salt should be fine.
Just follow that link to salt, good luck.

The only encouragement that I have is that she's actually very active now (she only hid before), and is coming up to 'say hi'. She has API Aquarium Salt currently in the vase with her.

Thanks for the help.

Epson salt good for drawing fluids out.
It worth a chance if she still lively.

Epson salt good for drawing fluids out.
It worth a chance if she still lively.

where would I buy that specifically (easily accessable in any random pet store)? And how much would it cost? I'm a college student with 12$ in my bank account.

A chemist but I think it's expensive in the states.

I think I'll just have to use what I have, and wish her the best. Guh. I feel so depressed.

Sorry, fingers crossed.

Most reactions

Back