Reaction score
20210425_190528.jpg
20210425_190600.jpg
20210426_202150.jpg
20210426_202233.jpg
20210426_202658.jpg
20210425_190531.jpg

@Wills what you think?:dunno:

Hmmm interesting - you definitely have 2 Ellioti and looks like a male and a female (female has the dot in the dorsal fin). The fish in the top right of pic 4 is definitely a Rainbow but... I'm not sure about the other 2. My initial guess is Bocourti but not 100% - stunning fish but they are rather large...

Hmmm interesting - you definitely have 2 Ellioti and looks like a male and a female (female has the dot in the dorsal fin). The fish in the top right of pic 4 is definitely a Rainbow but... I'm not sure about the other 2. My initial guess is Bocourti but not 100% - stunning fish but they are rather large...
Thanks for looking wills :)

Yes i agree with the Ellioti. I think i have a pair. The size aswel as the colour in the fins.

After looking at pictures tonight i do also agree on the Rainbow. Other 2 are a mystery tho

Ill have a look at the Bocourti :good:

Think you maybe spot on with the Bocourti shout Wills

Not a lot of pictures around of juveniles but have seen a clip on youtube that leads me to believe your guess is right.

Settling in ok and i like when they show off to the camera.

Just not sure long term if they will get to big for my tank.
20210429_214355.jpg
20210429_214359.jpg

I mean... wow they are rare like I dont understand how you were mis sold them... they are literally one of my dream fish.

There is no getting away from the fact they are potentialy monsters. Most sites I've just had a flick through are saying 12 inches on average with some saying smaller some saying upto 14. Now I have to admit without looking I thought they would be a 15 inch fish so surprised some sources are saying smaller than that.

They are not meant to be overly aggressive but due to the bulk the tank is going to need to be big.

Remind me how big your tank is again? Is a bigger tank a viable option?

Wills

Totally my mistake, they were in a tank labelled allsorted cichlids. Their were Rainbows in the tank i wanted but soon as the guy put the net in the tank all the fish went in camo mode and all looked very similar. In the bag they all looked the same and it wasnt till i settled them in and saw them under light the next day i knew they were different.

Tanks 151x51x66cm which the sites volume calculator works out at 134g (508ltrs)

I could get a bigger tank but id rather not go into that just yet. Ive just spent a fortune on this tank so id need a fair few brownie points in the bank with the wife to buy another this soon lol

I could get a bigger tank but id rather not go into that just yet. Ive just spent a fortune on this tank so id need a fair few brownie points in the bank with the wife to buy another this soon lol
Lol this is very relatable...

I think a five foot tank is going to be good for them for a few years. I believe they are quite slow growing. I know with some big centrals that’s the case they get to 6/7 inches in about a year but then it’ll take them an other two or three years to get to the bulky picture you see

Lol this is very relatable...

I think a five foot tank is going to be good for them for a few years. I believe they are quite slow growing. I know with some big centrals that’s the case they get to 6/7 inches in about a year but then it’ll take them an other two or three years to get to the bulky picture you see
Ive got time to work on her then lol

Do you think this will cause me problems down the road with them growing much bigger than the Ellioti's? I picked the Rainbows because they was similar size.

Ps off subject but what specie would you say these whiptail are??
received_915129842553006.jpeg

Pictures not the best, my LFS sent it over to me today

I'm always fan of 'the silicon only last x amount of years so you do need to replace after a while' argument ;)

I don't believe they are known to be that aggressive, they are pretty rare though so not loads of information but I don't think you're looking at the aggression of a jag or a black belt etc.

I've found this in an article which I think is interesting especially given the closeness to your Ellioti to the Aureus listed here.

Other cichlids found with Herichthys bocourti include Thorichthys aureus, Vieja maculicauda, Archocentrus spilurus, "Cichlasoma" salvini, Amphilophus robertsoni, and Parachromis managuense. Many other fishes found in the lake include atherinids, Hypressobrycon milleri, Astyanax aeneus, Belonesox belizanus, Carlhubbsia stuarti, Gambusia luma, Poecilia mexicana, and Rhamdia catfish.

The whiptails in the pic look like Rineloricaria of some kind which is the common whiptail. I think in your tank I'd be tempted to look at one of the bigger species.

Wills

I'm always fan of 'the silicon only last x amount of years so you do need to replace after a while' argument ;)

I don't believe they are known to be that aggressive, they are pretty rare though so not loads of information but I don't think you're looking at the aggression of a jag or a black belt etc.

I've found this in an article which I think is interesting especially given the closeness to your Ellioti to the Aureus listed here.

Other cichlids found with Herichthys bocourti include Thorichthys aureus, Vieja maculicauda, Archocentrus spilurus, "Cichlasoma" salvini, Amphilophus robertsoni, and Parachromis managuense. Many other fishes found in the lake include atherinids, Hypressobrycon milleri, Astyanax aeneus, Belonesox belizanus, Carlhubbsia stuarti, Gambusia luma, Poecilia mexicana, and Rhamdia catfish.

The whiptails in the pic look like Rineloricaria of some kind which is the common whiptail. I think in your tank I'd be tempted to look at one of the bigger species.

Wills
Well my wife wanted me to build a bar in our garden which as now turned into a pub (yes she means a full on pub lol)

So in the small print im going to put on building this pub, the builder can then build a fish room. Seems fair to me :D

Right ok ill look up some bigger species and see what my local can get in

All is good so far with the Cichlids. The new Rainbows have settled in nicely and everyones getting along. Cant believe how much they have grown already:D my alpha Bocourti is a beast!

I did however lose one of my whiptails just before we come away for a break :( got me worried whether they was getting enough grub. Not great timing going away really

All is good so far with the Cichlids. The new Rainbows have settled in nicely and everyones getting along. Cant believe how much they have grown already:D my alpha Bocourti is a beast!

I did however lose one of my whiptails just before we come away for a break :( got me worried whether they was getting enough grub. Not great timing going away really
Ah damn shame about the whiptail. Any pics of the Boucourti?

Wills

20210516_183018.jpg
20210516_183015.jpg

Not got an up to date one but this is about 3 weeks ago. Ill update my journal when i get back because i made some changes to the tank before i came away.

He was about the same size as the rainbow in the top picture when i first had him and is now comfortably the biggest fish in my tank. Quite the character too :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back