Rainbows laying lots of eggs, and not eating them this time!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dave_davis1987

Reaction score
Exciting times!

2D277CC0-9769-4294-A88B-02B3B7AAB81C.jpeg

Should I leave the eggs in there once fertilised or is it worth trying to get them into a hatchery?

thanks,
Dave

Are we talking about rainbow cichlids?
There are a few fish called rainbows.
I think rainbow fish. Theres many types of those

If they are attached to a rock in a cluster, they are not rainbowfish eggs and are most likely cichlid eggs.

In that case the parents will possibly look after them, if not and you want the fry, next time they lay eggs take the rock out and put it in a small tank to hatch them. You will need an airstone to keep water moving gently over the eggs to help keep them free of fungus.

Well the eggs were all eaten on the third day this time.... :confused:

Maybe next time we’ll get some fry.

Cichlids take time to learn to be parents. They normally eat the first few batches of eggs, then they eat the fry a few times, then they look after the eggs and fry.

If you feed the adults more they are less likely to eat the eggs and fry but it's no guarantee.

Cichlids take time to learn to be parents. They normally eat the first few batches of eggs, then they eat the fry a few times, then they look after the eggs and fry.

If you feed the adults more they are less likely to eat the eggs and fry but it's no guarantee.
Thanks Colin, I was so hopeful after they didn’t eat them straight away this time.
I made sure there was plenty of good quality food for them, and they were doing a great job.
The Male seems to be the instigator, I see him picking at them and had a mouth full of eggs! He wasn’t munching them at first, just holding them in his mouth. The female was trying to stop him by forcing him away, but this morning they are all gone.
There’s not really anything else in there that can eat them.
Hopefully next time we will get fry.
I really like these fish so want to get some babies to grow out. I enjoy watching their colour changes and watching them look around the tank. They seem to be quite an intelligent fish, albeit they’re eating their own eggs at the moment:D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back