Rainbowfish Sexing

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Geordie Paul

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my Turquoise Rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris). I've had him for 13 months now and I'm pretty sure he's male but he never really developed that small face and large back like other males I have seen. What do you think, male or female? (I couldn't get him to swim under the light for these pictures that's why the colors on him don't look super bright)

Attachments

• E8669DA7-28FF-4E22-9050-271EE1F4D05D.jpeg
    E8669DA7-28FF-4E22-9050-271EE1F4D05D.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 152
  • BD36245A-8FE6-43C1-A225-52D22D76F91B.jpeg
    BD36245A-8FE6-43C1-A225-52D22D76F91B.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 782FCEF8-69D7-49A3-AD29-5CE162EF6125.jpeg
    782FCEF8-69D7-49A3-AD29-5CE162EF6125.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 98
Sexing: Males are brighter than females but only slightly most of the time. When in breeding mode the alpha male will brighten up to an shocking electric blue and the forehead turns yellow. This yellow is flashed on and off to attract the females.
credits to tropicalfishstie.com

Male rainbowfish have longer dorsal (top) and anal (bottom) fins that are usually pointed on the end. Female rainbowfish have shorter fins that are rounded on the ends.

The first dorsal fin on male rainbowfish will touch or overlap the second dorsal fin. In females, the first dorsal fin will not touch the second dorsal fin.

When breeding, males produce a dorsal blaze, which is a coloured stripe that runs from the first dorsal fin down to his mouth. The dorsal blaze can be yellow, white or pink depending on species. Melanotaenia lacustris normally produce a yellow dorsal blaze.

Male fish get bigger (longer and higher in the body) than females. The really high body in rainbowfish does not normally occur until the fish are 2 years old, and the fish need a big tank to get really big. In tanks that are less than 24 inches high, the fish don't normally get very high in the body.

The fish in the picture is a male Melanotaenia lacustris, but not the best quality, it has a slightly unusual nose. However, it's still worth keeping, especially if you have a group of them so they can show off together.

The following link has information about all the known Australian and New Guinea rainbowfishes and has a nice picture of a male M. lacustris with its breeding stripe (dorsal blaze).

Male rainbowfish have longer dorsal (top) and anal (bottom) fins that are usually pointed on the end. Female rainbowfish have shorter fins that are rounded on the ends.

The first dorsal fin on male rainbowfish will touch or overlap the second dorsal fin. In females, the first dorsal fin will not touch the second dorsal fin.

When breeding, males produce a dorsal blaze, which is a coloured stripe that runs from the first dorsal fin down to his mouth. The dorsal blaze can be yellow, white or pink depending on species. Melanotaenia lacustris normally produce a yellow dorsal blaze.

Male fish get bigger (longer and higher in the body) than females. The really high body in rainbowfish does not normally occur until the fish are 2 years old, and the fish need a big tank to get really big. In tanks that are less than 24 inches high, the fish don't normally get very high in the body.

The fish in the picture is a male Melanotaenia lacustris, but not the best quality, it has a slightly unusual nose. However, it's still worth keeping, especially if you have a group of them so they can show off together.

The following link has information about all the known Australian and New Guinea rainbowfishes and has a nice picture of a male M. lacustris with its breeding stripe (dorsal blaze).
Thank you very much

Most reactions

Back