Rainbowfish Id

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

catxx

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I got these guys today, 4 are definitely Forktails, but one definitely isn't! It has the same colouration in the caudal fin as the Forktails, but much more elongated dorsal and anal fins. It's pectoral fins are the same as the Forktails. It has a yellow eye not blue and has that blue lateral line? It's bigger than the Forktails.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kSawBBrnKw

To my novice eye, that is a male Celebes Rainbow! The males have a pair of black display fins (one below, one above) that goto 90 degrees to the body when showing off to other male Celebes. There should also be a mini dorsal fin almost above the gills that is a dark hemisphere when displaying. I think the main fins of the male tend to be yellow

Female Celebes do not have the black display fins and I think they tend to have orange fins.

Hopefully someone else can confirm thsi ID!
good.gif

Sounds like the reverse scenario at a LFS here, where there are 5 Celebes with a confused male Forktail Blue-Eye!
w00t.gif

Definitely after a school of Celebes, but due to their relative sensitivity (quite possibly because they are not true Rainbowfish, apparently), I'm wary about buying the group plus another couple of females (so there's 1:3 male:female ratio) from another LFS too soon. I'm really made up with my new Pearl Danios and might boost their numbers to 10 (from 6) if all goes well over the next two weeks before adding Rainbows (Praecox, Forktails, Katubu).

So, are you going to hunt down some more Celebes now?

Whatever you do, good luck with your new fish!
good.gif

The Celebes went back and was swapped for a couple more Forktails, now have a group of 11 Forktails (also got 3 from a friend who found the little trio were eating all his shrimp..)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back