Rainbow Shiners

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tobek28

Reaction score
I just got in 14 Rainbow Shiners today. It wasn't easy to locate them online, but I finally got some and had some tanks ready for them. I think they came in healthy, no noticeable distress, and I have them in my 10 gal quarantine.

They are not very colorful at the moment, but they are in a bare bottom quarantine tank and just got here so I think they are pretty stressed. I do see some pale purple on the body and the orange line down the body. So far they stick pretty close together in a shoal, and school around the tank exploring.

20200923_173248.jpg

Had never heard of these so needed to have a google, gorgeous! What a stunning little fish.

Ooooh, neato! Are those native to South Dakota? I've kept a few native minnows in aquariums, and their behaviors are fascinating.

You might want put a few fake plants or a sideways pot in your qt tank so they'll feel a little more comfortable. What kind of environment are you creating for them? I hope these do great for you!

I bought some fake plant on my way to work, i work midnights, and will put them in when i get home.

They are a cold water species from Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. They are pretty popular in Europe and not too big here yet. I believe they can take a while to mature and color up i hear 12 to 18 months. Large schools allow color displays and colorful dominant males from my research.

Got a 20L so they have some swimming space till i can set up larger.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back