Rainbow shark

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Paradise_Gourami

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I dont know where to post this so ill post it in here. I bought a 2 inch rainbow shark today and he constantly chases my serpae tetras and any them. Is he just establishing territory or does he not like the serpae because of their pikish red color? amd will it stop when he settles in? :dunno: :dunno: :eek:sama:

Sometimes it stops, sometimes it doesn't, and you seem to be keeping him with smaller fish - thats not safe. Usually you should keep them with fish that are the same size or bigger.

The fish is agressive to it's own kind and usually anything that generally resembles it. Towards other fish, a lot depends on the temperament of the individual - some totally ignore other tank mates, others are aggressive towards others. A fair classification is that on average they are semi-aggressive.

One of the problems with these kind of questions is we are dealing with live ware, not machines, and not all of them read the owners guide!

Ok, well I'm looking at your sig and whatever tank you put him in you shouldn't have. They get like 7-8 inches and are really aggressive and get more so as they get bigger. I would take him back to the lfs. They aren't just mean to their own kind. They are mean to almost anything.

I was going to buy one last week. they were 2 for 5 and the two that were in the tank were just going at it. And they were only like an inch. The lfs told me how big and aggressive they get. Even against tiger barbs and stuff. So, if I were you I would take him back!

i had two of them. the one as so stressed by the other that i had to take him out and move him to another tank. that one eventually went abck to the lfs. i have the one in a small tank with 2 red serpae tetras, 2 zebra danios, 2 baby plecos, and 2 corries. they seem to be fine. the rainbow seems to chase things that he feels threatened by. he hates rasboras but does not mind the pristellas. he leaves the serpaes alone unless they venture into 'his' cave. other than that, he seems to be fine. i think you have to fnid a mix thatn they are comfy with. i would say that more than one is dangerous. most semi-aggressive fish leave the scavengers alone. frmo what i can see, he does not like long streamlined fish. fish that resemble his shape and speed. he cahes the serpaes out because they enter his cave. when he is out, he elaves them alone. each fish is different but the rainbows definately take more care to keep. mine is growing and getting larger in girth. they do get beautiful- turqoise speckles come out fo tehir black bodies and shimmer in the light. very interesting. i would say if you have the means, get another tank for him, have a small cleanup crew and let him be himself. :D

I have a rainbow shark and a red tailed shark (I know what your thinking, but wait!).

They love each others company, they swim about all day together rummaging for food etc.
They even huddle together under their bogwood.

As Lateral Line says, they are alive and so each one is different!!!

:blink:

Thanks for all the posts theyre a big help. :D Sence ive last posted he has calmed down an stays hidden most of the day and only bothers them if they come to close to his cave. i think if i might add some more plants so he can stay hidden and the serpae tetra will stay out of his sight.

I have a rainbow shark, he is not a problem at all, he is maybe 1/2inch shy of fully grown, and lives well with all the tetra he will attempt to chase a few pentazonas off 'his' cucumber slice, but thats fair enough........one barb is fine with him, a few and he just knows they are going to eat too much.

I try to put the food in late in the evening as he is (in theory) more likely to continue eating it through the night, but when ever I see him at night he has found his place on the bottom (strangely only slightly under a large material plant leaf than in a hidy hole) and seems settled there until morning.

He seems happy, patrols the tank, he is king of all he sees and he seems to know it (there are 6 'large' tetra and they seem to not notice him, and 14 'small fish' little tetra and small barbs so no competion for him there) he doesnt seem to feel he has to prove it!

Auratus said:
So, if I were you I would take him back!
That's a bit of a shame. I have got a rainbow shark in my 35g community tank and he's grand. Doesn't hurt anyone. If someone comes over and he doesn't want them tere he chases them off but half-heartedly.

Give hima chace to settle in properly and then see.

I love my Zippy. :D

My rainbow shark is doing great now and is really peaceful, I think he was just establishing his athority in my tank i have also removed the tetras because i ffound that theyre fin nippers! so its all good now. :kana:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back